10/15/17 Iowa, Vanessa Korolas

Senior defender Vanessa Korolas tries to get in possession of the head ball.

On a cloudy and windy Sunday afternoon, Purdue soccer lost its fourth consecutive game, 2-1, against Iowa.

Playing on Senior Night, the Boilermakers (9-6-1, 4-4-1 Big Ten) were unable to get a goal until the last three minutes of the second half. In the final 10 seconds of the game, Purdue had one last shot to tie the game, but Iowa (8-6-1, 3-4-1) goalie Claire Graves saved the ball.

In the windy first half, Purdue’s offense seemed to have a disconnect with keeping possession of the ball. Iowa sophomore midfielder Natalie Winters had a header goal to give the Hawkeyes the lead, 1-0.

“Once we gave Iowa that first goal, they seemed to have a lid on it and I give them credit for making the saves that they did against us,” said Purdue head coach Drew Roff.

Iowa shot five times against Purdue freshman goalie Katie Luce in the first half. Purdue shot seven times in the first half against Graves, but could not get a shot past her. The Hawkeyes had two yellow cards, which indicated their aggressive style on defense.

The Boilermakers started the second half strong while controlling the ball and creating multiple chances to score against Iowa.

In the second half, the Boilermaker offense came out firing, led by seniors forward Maddy Williams, midfielder Andrea Petrina and defender Vanessa Korolas. They combined for 16 of the team’s 24 shots, and 17 of those shots were in the second half. In the final three minutes of the game, freshman midfielder Kylie Hase was able to score a goal for Purdue but it was not enough, as Purdue still trailed by one. Williams attempted to tie the game with a shot in the last 10 seconds, but Graves made the save to give Iowa the win.

Despite the second-half goal, it was not enough, and the Boilermakers lost their fourth consecutive game.

“We are not as sharp as we once were,” said Roff, “We have had some hard and physical games, but I don’t know if our freshmen are at a wall or if our seniors are tired, but our coaching staff is at a loss right now.”

Purdue will try and break its four-game losing streak in its next game at 7 p.m. on Friday at Penn State (10-3-2, 6-1-2).