The Boilers took on the Nebraska Cornhuskers this past weekend in their fourth conference matchup of the season. Unfortunately, Purdue (11-31, 3-8 Big Ten) wasn’t on the winning side in either of its two outings, with the third canceled due to inclement weather.

Though Purdue fell in both games, the team showed determination in Friday’s matchup and kept the game close, exchanging home runs with Nebraska (30-14, 8-5) throughout.

Leading the offense was junior designated player Mallory Baker and senior right fielder Morgan Cavinder, with two hits apiece. Sophomore catcher Alexa Binckes and left fielder Emily Kenny each had a home run in crucial moments for Purdue. Junior second baseman Stephanie Ramsey also launched one out of the park, giving the team three total home runs.

Freshman pitcher Giana Lopez got the start on the mound but struggled as the game progressed. Lopez had 25 total pitches and saw just six batters during her two innings on the mound, but gave up four runs and four hits before head coach Boo De Oliveira brought in freshman pitcher Sydney Bates for reinforcement.

The pitching staff finished with only two strikeouts and seven walks while allowing 12 hits and eight runs across eight innings, including the walk thrown by junior pitcher Kaitlynn Moody that brought in a base runner to end the game, 8-7.

Saturday’s game resulted in a 10-1 finish where the Huskers drove in all 10 runs in the first inning on just six hits. Bates and Lopez shared time on the mound during the first in an effort by De Oliveira to find a new energy on the defensive side, but it couldn’t hold the Nebraska offense.

The Boilers also struggled getting into a rhythm on the offensive side on Saturday as the team recorded just four hits, two of which came from junior third baseman Jenny Behan in the final two innings. The late push led by Behan wasn’t enough to overcome the commanding lead that Nebraska established in the first inning.

The cancellation of the final game of the series then took away Purdue’s chance at grabbing at least one win on the weekend.

The Boilers are back in action Tuesday at Bittinger Stadium as they take on the Fort Wayne Mastodons. The first pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.