You’ve heard it before.

The Purdue Boilermakers versus the Indiana Hoosiers. The sun finally came out for the iconic rivalry in “The Crossroads of America,” this time renewed at Bittinger Stadium in West Lafayette for a double header on Wednesday night.

Purdue (13-36, 4-12) fell in the first game on the doubleheader last night. Indiana (23-25, 15-2) took a one-run lead behind senior first baseman Taylor Uden’s solo shot with two outs left in the top of the third inning. That proved to be enough: IU was able to keep the Boilermaker offense in check for a shutout. The game was slow offensively for both teams, as the Hoosiers finished with four hits and the Boilermakers finished with just three.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Sydney Bates started and completed the game on the mound for Purdue, totaling six strikeouts over seven innings pitched. The Boilermakers were able to chalk up nine strikeouts over the two games.

“I thought Sydney Bates pitched a great game one,” head coach Boo De Oliveira said. “I thought she did a good job keeping their team off balance and keeping us in the game.”

This was also Bates’ first time playing in the historic Purdue-IU rivalry.

“It was definitely awesome,” Bates described after the game. “It’s a great rivalry. … This one definitely had a lot more energy and it was a lot more fun to play in.”

Before this doubleheader started today, Purdue and IU had split the last eight contests. Yet the Boilers dropped both this series when they lost 11-4 in game two.

The Boilermakers started the second game by catching two runners stealing in the first two innings, once at third and once at second. But the defensive success did not last very long.

Freshman pitcher Giana Lopez came on with two base runners on first base and second base respectively, but in her first batter faced, she allowed a three-run home run to right-center field. Two innings later, Lopez allowed a hit to center field that lined up and over senior center fielder Maya Hughes’ head. That led to a two-RBI triple, giving the Hoosiers jumped out to a five run lead.

Purdue got on the board for the first time in either game when junior second baseman Stephanie Ramsey hit an RBI single in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Before the top of the seventh inning was over, the Boilers called on Bates once again to help them out on the mound, but could not mount a comeback in the bottom half of the seventh inning.

Purdue will play its last home games of the season this weekend when Minnesota comes to Bittinger Stadium. Game one starts at 6 p.m. on Friday, and fans can watch the games on BTN Plus.