The Purdue women’s golf team competed in the NCAA Championships for the 15th time in the last 16 seasons. While not placing as high as they hoped, team members and coaches are confident in the future of the program.

The 2014 season marked the first time since 1999 that the Boilermakers did not qualify for the Championships. Getting back in the mix in 2015 was “a step in the right direction” according to head coach Devon Brouse, but the 12th-place finish kept the team out of match play and contention for the title.

“Finishing 12th in the NCAA Championship means that we are supposedly the 12th best team in the country, and we should be proud of our achievement,” freshman golfer Marta Martin said. “At the same time, we are a little bit disappointed because our main goal for this tournament was to make it to match play.”

Going into the fourth round, the Boilers were sitting in sixth, a position that, if they could have held on to it, would have qualified them for match play. The final round, however, plagued the team all season and proved to be a problem again when Purdue fell from sixth to a non-qualifying position of 12th.

“We’ve got to learn to close better. We have got to learn to play that last round with a calm, aggressive approach,” Brouse said. “When we do that, I think we will be able to get the job done.”

The Boilermakers lose two players from this season’s roster, only one of whom competed in the NCAA Championships. Furthermore, the top two players of the tournament for the Purdue squad were freshmen. Martin and Linn Andersson led the Boilermakers in stroke play with scores of +13 and +17, respectively.

On top of returning the young core of the team, Brouse also has a promising incoming freshman class to help boost the chances of improvement for the 2016 season.

“We’re graduating a couple kids this year, but I feel like the two freshmen we’ve got coming should fill in nicely,” Brouse said. “We’re looking forward to having another good team next year for sure.”