4/11/18 Indiana State, Siena Wagner, Assistant Coach Dorian Shaw

Freshman designated batter Siena Wager smiles with assistant coach Dorian Shaw. Wagner singled to left field with a 1-2 count and advanced her teammates to second and third.

The Boilers (12-31, 3-8) survived a late comeback by in-state opponent Fort Wayne (15-26, 1-4) in their first of two midweek matchups, 7-5.

Junior pitcher Maddie Damon got the start in the circle for Purdue in her first start since last season. Damon gave up five hits and two runs in 1.2 innings and felt good about her performance.

"I felt good," Damon said. "The defense has been working well and I always know they've got my back. They always make it more comfortable on the mound."

Head coach Boo De Oliveira brought in freshman pitcher Giana Lopez in the middle of the second inning. She finished the game with just three runs allowed. Even though she is just a freshman, she has made an impact on the team and improved while doing so.

"I feel like I've impacted the team by stepping up and doing my job and knowing my place on the team," Lopez said. "I feel like I've improved physically and mentally, I feel like I'm a totally different person as well as just working on my pitches and getting tougher."

Though the pitching staff only allowed three runs, the Mastodons recorded 10 total hits compared to five for Purdue. The Boiler defense, however, came to play and kept very few players from reaching home plate. 

"We played well enough to win," De Oliveira said. "Emily Kenny played a great left field and Giana pitched good enough to win. I hope to see a little more double play action tomorrow on some balls that could turn into double plays but always happy with a win."

After scoring their first run in the second inning, sophomore left-fielder Emily Kenny propelled the Boilers to a 5-3 lead on a two-out grand slam. She finished the game with one hit and four RBIs.

Sophomore shortstop Halle Hixenbaugh also had a positive outing. She recorded two hits and two runs. Even pinch hitters like freshman infielder Siena Wagner and freshman outfielder Rachel Krzysko got on base, something De Oliveira was pleased with. 

"That's what you're supposed to do," De Oliveira said. "You get in there to get on base."

The Boilers are back in action Wednesday against Dayton at Bittinger Stadium for their second game of the week. First pitch is scheduled for 5 p.m.