Purdue fell in both games this weekend against a visiting Minnesota team before the third was canceled on Sunday.

The first game on Friday night was the highest-scoring game at Alexander Field since opening its gates in 2012. The Golden Gophers (23-10, 7-1 Big Ten) took that contest by a score of 22-7. Purdue (15-15, 4-4) had taken an early 6-5 lead in the fourth inning thanks to freshman outfielder Ben Nisle’s two home runs, his first career game with multiple home runs. Yet the Boilermakers’ lead dwindled quickly, with Minnesota able to score 10 runs over the next two innings, all of them with two outs in the inning.

One bright spot for Purdue in the game was the extension of senior infielder Harry Shipley’s hitting streak, which reached seven on Friday. After the two heavy-hitting innings in the fifth and sixth, Minnesota’s sophomore catcher Eli Wilson added to the scoreboard with a rare inside-the-park home run.

An interesting sight on Friday night was the move of Purdue’s junior third baseman Evan Warden to pitcher in the ninth inning, where he promptly went three up and three down to prevent Minnesota from dealing any more damage.

The second game of the series held a similar result for the Boilermakers as they fell again, but this time by a score of 18-8.

This was Purdue’s fifth consecutive loss, and in that span it has allowed 63 runs. Minnesota took a large lead early, a pair of three-run homers in the first two innings propelling the Golden Gophers out to an 11-1 lead. Three Minnesota players hit three-run homers and one player hit a two-run homer. The four home runs Minnesota hit on the day contributed to its scoring in seven of the nine innings played.

Ben Nisle added to his RBI count in the series when he hit a two-out RBI single and a sacrifice fly. Junior catcher Nick Dalesandro also had his second game of the series with multiple RBIs. The two Boilermakers each had five RBIs in the series. Shipley was also able to knock another hit in the game, extending his hit streak to eight.

The series was cut short after poor weather conditions Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Purdue’s next series will be this week when it plays at Indiana State on Tuesday night and comes back up to West Lafayette on Wednesday to finish the series. Both games will start at 6 p.m. Fans can watch Game 1 of the series on ESPN+.