4/23/15 Chukwuebuka Enekwechi

Chukwuebuka Enekwechi throws a shot as he practices for the NCAA Track and Field Championships.

Chukwuebuka Enekwechi continued his reign as the best field athlete in the Big Ten, as he was named the conference Field Athlete of the Week for the fourth time this season – one for each meet in which he has competed.

Enekwechi continues to lead the world in the weight throw, as he is the only person on the planet to record a mark of 75 feet or better this season. He won the event at the Meyo Invitational with a throw of 23.27m (76-4.25), which was nearly seven feet better than anyone else in the competition. Enekwechi followed that up with a lifetime best in the shot put, recording a mark of 19.79m (64-11.25) to win the event. That distance moved him up as the No. 2 shot putter in program history and to the No. 6 spot in NCAA Division I this season.

Enekwechi has won every weight throw competition this season, and been victorious in three of his four shot put events. Throws coach Keith McBride’s men’s group has won five Big Ten Field Athlete of the Week awards this season in just six meets.

The Boilermakers wrap up the home season Saturday with the Fred Wilt Invitational. The meet is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. ET with the men’s weight throw.