SOUTH BEND - Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund, two of the world’s most well-known and most recognizable soccer teams, will face off in a preseason friendly tonight at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend.

This will be the first professional soccer game played in this stadium and the first time a European club has played in Indiana. It’s quite the introduction as Liverpool is coming off one of the most historic Champions League runs of all time. To put this into perspective, Liverpool only a few months ago won what is essentially Europe’s Super Bowl for soccer.

On Thursday, both clubs held open practices in Notre Dame’s facilities. The teams were supposed to practice inside the stadium, but because of rain and to preserve the newly laid sod, the teams were relocated to the soccer fields.

Liverpool players arrived in South Bend at the beginning of the week and have been training daily, officials said. Dortmund players, on the other hand, arrived roughly two hours before they were slated to practice. They are coming off a win against the Seattle Sounders in another preseason friendly on Wednesday night in Seattle.

In a press conference Thursday, Liverpool Manager Jurgen Klopp joked about Indiana’s unpredictable weather, something all Hoosiers are well aware of.

Once the teams were moved to the soccer fields, the sun came out and provided an ideal afternoon for both the players and the fans. Based on the crowds at Thursday’s training sessions, Liverpool will have the home field advantage in South Bend.

The game is set to kick off at 8 p.m.