07/06/18 Norbert Elliott

Purdue athletics director Mike Bobinski announced Thursday that Norbert Elliott has been tapped to lead the Boilermakers’ track and field and cross-country programs.

“It made great sense to look first within our own staff for our next head coach,” Bobinski said in a press release. "We have a proven and talented coach who has been instrumental in the recruitment and development of many of our most successful student-athletes. I am excited for him to lead our program.”

Elliott has been with Purdue for six years, serving as the associate head coach since July of 2015. Since then, he has worked with sprinters, hurdlers, horizontal jumpers and relay teams.

The women's track team finished eighth at the 2018 NCAA Outdoor Championships, as well as being 2017 Big Ten NCAA Outdoor Champions. They placed 14th in the last two NCAA Indoor Championships.

The men’s team finished 13th at the 2016 Indoor Championship and 15th at Outdoor Championships.

“I am truly honored,” Elliott said in a press release. “We will continue to build on all our successes. I am excited and can't wait to hit the ground running in this new adventure.”

During Elliott’s time at Purdue, the women's sprinters and hurdlers experienced success with eight-time All-American Devynne Charlton leading the way.

Throughout his career, Elliott has coached more than 50 All-American athletes and eight NCAA champions.

Elliott came to Purdue from Campbell University, where he served as the head track and field and cross country coach during the 2011-12 season.

Elliott also boasts an international coaching resume.

He coached Debbie Ferguson at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia, where she ended as a finalist in the 100-meter and 200-meter races.

Elliott has coached many World Championship medalists from the Bahamas and Iceland, and worked as the head coach for the Bahamas National Team.