Big Ten administrators dismiss staff for poor officiating

OUT OF BOUNDS: Referee Daniel Capron watches a play develop Saturday at Ross-Ade Stadium. Capron is one of four officials to be dismissed by the Big Ten this week.

Four officials who worked the Sept. 21 Purdue-Wake Forest football game were dismissed by the Big Ten Conference on Wednesday after being determined to have done a poor job during the game.

"During the course of the game, these officials did not officiate well enough to meet Big Ten standards," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said in a statement. "Therefore, they will forfeit future officiating assignments."

Associate director of communications Scott Chipman would not comment on what the mistakes were made in the 24-21 Wake Forest win and said there would be not further comments on the subject.

Wake Forest is a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, while Purdue is a member of the Big Ten Conference.

The Boilers had seven penalties called against them for a total of 66 yards. Wake Forest was called for three penalties for 35 yards.

Officials from the ACC could not be reached and Purdue athletic director Morgan Burke also chose to not comment on the action taken by the Big Ten.

The eight-man officiating crew had four officials that are listed on the Big Ten’s staff. They are referee Daniel Capron, linesman Steve Beckman, back judge Scott Buchanan and side judge Don Swanson.

Beckman had been a Big Ten official since 1990. Capron and Buchanan both had been officials in the conference since 2000 and Swanson began in 2001.

Purdue head coach Joe Tiller said it was gratifying to see the Big Ten hold its officials accountable.

"Obviously, they felt the performance of some of the officials in our Wake Forest game did not meet conference standards," said Tiller. "I think this action is a positive step by the conference."