Head coach Matt Painter and the Purdue men's basketball program signed three prospects Wednesday morning, including a top target that has drawn comparisons to Robbie Hummel. 

Small forward Vince Edwards (Middletown, Ohio), shooting guard Dakota Mathias (Elida, Ohio) and Jacquil Taylor (Cambridge, Mass.) make up the 2014 signing class. 

"All three of these guys have a lot of the same characteristics," Painter said. "They are hard-working guys, understand basketball, come from great families, and I think when you have those characteristics, you are really going to fit in here at Purdue."

Vince Edwards - F | 6-7 | 210 | Middletown, Ohio 

Honors

• Ranked as 88th-best prospect, the No. 2-ranked prospect in Ohio and a four-star recruit in America by ESPN.com
  • Held offers from Michigan, West Virginia, Vanderbilt and Xavier among others
  • Averaged 14.5 points, 11.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game as a sophomore
  • Greater Miami Conference (GMC) Co-Player of the Year as a junior

Matt Painter on Edwards:

"We've cornered Vince for a long time and was a priority for us from day one after we saw him two years ago before his sophomore year. He will be able to handle the basketball and push the basketball himself, very similar to what Robbie Hummel did for us. His ability to triple-threat, shoot threes, drive the basketball and be able to pitch and then get to the hole from that spot is really going to give us an advantage."

Dakota Mathias - G | 6-5 | 190 | Elida, Ohio 

Honors

• Ranked 141st nationally and a three-star recruit by Rivals.com
  • Surpassed 1,000 career points on Jan. 25, 2013 against Kenton High School
  • Has made 138 career three-pointers during his time at Elida High School
  • Was selected to play on the Ohio Rising All-Stars Team, was the Lima News 2013 Dream Team Player of the Year and an Associated Press Division II All-Ohio First Team honoree
Painter on Mathias: "Dakota is a very intelligent basketball player that can dribble, pass and shoot, and simply understands the game very well. Probably the one thing that really jumps out to me after watching him is how selfless of a player he is. He just knows what is going on at all times and has a great presence on the court. We are very excited to get him and feel he is a guy that can play immediately for us."

Jacquil Taylor - F | 6-9 | 215 | Cambridge, Mass. 

Honors: 
  • Three-star recruit according to ESPN.com and ranked as the No. 6 prospect in the state of Massachusetts
  • Named tenth-best player in New England by the New England Recruiting Report
  • Most-highly touted big man to come out of Cambridge, Mass., since New York Knicks hall-of-famer Patrick Ewing
  • Averaged 15.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.2 blocks a game as a sophomore, being named the EIL Co-MVP. Was also named to the Boston Globe All-Scholastics Team
Painter on Taylor: "Jacquil is a guy that we started recruiting at the end of the process, and his story is something you were always doing before AAU Basketball came into play. Some kids wouldn't play AAU and get on the circuit and would be under the radar. He was different in that he was under the radar because of his injury. He is left handed, he is long and active and can step out and shoot the basketball. He has a chance, especially as he physically matures, to be a really good player."

Women's basketball

The Purdue women's basketball program signed a class Wednesday that ranks second in the Big Ten behind only Ohio State. 

Haley Bodnar (Saint George, Utah), Justine Hall (Denver, Colo.), Bree Horrocks (Buford, Ga.), Andreona Keys (Atlanta, Ga.) and Erica Moore (Fortville, Ind.) make up a high-caliber class that ranks No. 14 nationally, according to Blue Star Basketball. 

“I’m excited to announce our 2014 class,” said Versyp. “It’s great to see a group like this bring us some national attention in the recruiting rankings as they bring a variety of dynamic pieces to the table and will make a great impact in their Boilermaker careers.”

Haley Bodnar | 6-4 | Post | Saint George, Utah

Honors

• Named 3A most valuable player by Salt Lake Deseret News
  • Ranked No. 20 at her position by the Collegiate Girls Report
  • Won back-to-back 3A championships in Utah with Desert Hills High School
Head coach Sharon Versyp on Bodnar: 

“Haley will be another outstanding, mobile post player for us with great hands and agility and a face-up game. She has a wide variety of moves in the paint and finishes well, in addition to being a great shot blocker and rebounder on the defensive end.”

Justine Hall | 5-10 | Guard | Denver, Colo.

Honors
  • Led her high school team to the 5A Colorado State title as a junior
  • No. 74 overall spot and No. 16 at her position by the ESPN Hoop Gurlz Top 100
  • USA Today American Family Insurance All-USA Colorado
  • Named first-team all-state by the Denver Post
  • 2013 Colorado 5A State Tournament MVP
Versyp on Hall: “Justine is an explosive player with a long, wiry frame and will be able to help us in a variety of ways. She’s smooth off the bounce, can penetrate and dish, has a quick release on her mid-range shot and delivers at the charity stripe.”

BREE HORROCKS | 6-5 | Post | Buford, Ga.

Honors

• Helped team to three straight Georgia 3A state title games
  • Ranked 35 overall by Blue Star Basketball
  • Named to the preseason Atlanta Top-25 Watchlist and second-team All-County by the Gwinnett Daily Post this fall
 Versyp on Horrocks:

“In addition to her great size, Bree has fantastic touch and can go either direction with her back to the basket,” said Versyp. “Her face-up game can stretch defenses out past the three-point line, and defensively she has the ability to change, if not block, any shot, and clean up the glass.”

ANDREONA KEYS | 5-10 | Wing |Atlanta, Ga.

Honors

• Averaged 26 points, 10 rebounds, three steals and two blocks, while making 91% at the free throw line as a junior.
  • Led team to the 5A state quarterfinals for the first time in 32 years as a freshman, upsetting the No. 1 team in the state.
  • All-Region honors as a junior

Versyp on Keys:

“Keys has an exceptional basketball IQ to pair with her outstanding athleticism, and will be fantastic addition to our team,” said Versyp. “She is a quick leaper, with good size and explosiveness and has a versatile game both inside and outside.”

ERICA MOORE | 6-2 | Forward | Fortville, Ind.

Honors

• Averaged 17.8 points and 8.3 rebounds as a junior, including her 14 points and 15 rebounds in the Indiana 3A state title game
  • Has led team to 67-12 records in her high school career, including three sectional, two regional and two semi-state championships
  • Named 2013 Hancock County Player of the Year
Versyp on Moore:

“Erica is very strong, athletic and versatile in the post, as well as on the perimeter, and is able to create opportunities for herself and her teammates from mid-range,” said Versyp. “She is a mobile, up-tempo player who can finish with contact in traffic and will be incredibly active on the boards.”

Volleyball

The Purdue volleyball program signed four Top 50 2014 recruits to national letters of intent to play Wednesday morning.

Outside hitter Christina Ambrose (Orlando, Fla.), middle blocker Danielle Cuttino (Indianapolis, Ind.), setter/outside hitter Lydia Dimke (Ham Lake, Minn.) and outside hitter Azariah Stahl (Elkhart, Ind.) make up the signing class.

"We are very excited about the athleticism of this group and the type of experience that they bring," head coach Dave Shondell said. "We feel like we have four premier athletes coming in. It is a great class and one that I think all Purdue volleyball fans should be excited about."

Christina Ambrose | 6-4 | Outside Hitter | Orlando, Fla.

Honors

• PrepVolleyball.com's No. 20 Senior Ace
  • Under Armour first team All-America selection in
  • Set the Winter Park High School record for kills in a season
  • First team All-Central Florida
  • 2012 PrepVolleyball High School All-America

Prep Volleyball's John Tawa on Ambrose:

"Both a supreme power hitter and shot maker, Ambrose is a true terminator and prolific blocker in the outside hitter position. A dedicated weight training program over the past 18 months has turned this Canadian-born player into a physical beast who now soars to 10-4."

Danielle Cuttino | 6-4 | Middle Blocker | Indianapolis, Ind.

Honors

• PrepVolleyball.com's No. 10 Senior Ace
  • Under Armour All-America second team honors in 2013 
  • Second team all-state accolades
  • Volleyball Magazine's 30 Underclassmen to Watch
  • PrepVolleyball's Top 50 Juniors

Tawa on Cuttino: "Six-foot-four and looking for more, the tall and very long Cuttino may be the break-out player of this past year. A force in the middle for Circle City VBC, the high flying Cuttino was a late pickup for the USA Youth National Team and received raves from that coaching staff, who touted her potential to one day be on the Women's National Team. Awesome attacking the ball in front of or behind the setter, this extremely athletic middle blocker's competitiveness, work ethic and sportsmanship surpass her abundant physical traits."

Lydia Dimke | 6-2 | Outside hitter/Setter | Ham Lake, Minn.

Honors

• PrepVolleyball's No. 50 Senior Ace
  • First-team Under Armour All-America selection
  • PrepVolleyball's Top 50 Juniors
  • Three-time all-state selection
  • Led the state of Minnesota in aces as a junior

Tawa on Dimke: "Fast and smooth, Dimke is a tall setter who excels in all phases of the game. She is adept at running an up tempo, smart offense that puts her hitters in position to score. Her ability to find her middles with less than perfect passes gives opposing blockers fits and opens up the pin hitters as well. In a 6-2 offense, Dimke is a lethal threat in three rotations on the right side. She is an explosive hitter with a bazooka-like arm."

Azariah Stahl | 5-11 | Outside Hitter | Elkhart, Ind.

Honors

• PrepVolleyball.com's No. 21 Senior Ace

• Under Armour All-American second team selection

• First team all-state selection

• Finalist for Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year as a junior

• PrepVolleyball All-America and MaxPreps All-America

third team as a junior

Tawa on Stahl: "'Z' is a household name in the Midwest. Coaches who have taken her on have her quickness and electric style of play seared on their brains. Able to touch 10-6, Stahl's calling cards are her high-flying and acrobatic attacking skills and strong desire to win. Z, who has played at the 18s level since she was in eighth grade, has the ability to take over matches by herself, swinging over, around and through people."