After a week off following their appearance at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kick-Off tournament, the women’s tennis team has been fine-tuning their technique in advance of their road trip to take on No. 25 Tulsa.

The women had a strong opening to their season at the ITA event, knocking off No. 42 Washington before losing several tight matches to then No. 14 Clemson. Starting the season off with matches versus such strong opponents gave the Boilers an opportunity to hone in on what aspects of their game needed improvement right out of the gate, which should be extremely beneficial to Purdue moving forward.

“We want to get to the level that (Clemson) is at, and from an experience standpoint, we know now what we need to do to get there,” senior Daniela Vidal said. “We know we’re as talented as (anyone) and it’s just the little things that we need to focus on.”

Similar to the approach adopted by many of the other sports teams at Purdue, the women’s tennis team has focused on establishing an aggressive mentality throughout their matches. Getting up to the net during points and keeping the pressure on their opponents has been a focal point for head coach Laura Glitz this season, and it’s an approach her players are taking to heart.

“This (past) week we’ve really been focusing on footwork. We’ve got to get our feet set so we can send a bigger ball back,” Glitz said. “In doubles, we have to be much more aggressive. We’ve got to get to the net in order for us to be effective.”

Saturday’s match will give the Boilers an opportunity to avenge last season’s loss to Tulsa, when Purdue was taken down on its home court by a final dual score of 5-2. With both squads losing several key players from last year’s event, though, the Boilers are confident heading into this weekend’s dual.

Purdue will take the court this Saturday at 12:30 p.m. EST in Tulsa, Okla., as the Boilers look to pick up their second win over a top-50 ranked opponent this season.