Maliq Carr recruiting photo 1/10/20

Quarterback Maliq Carr scored 9 touchdowns off 21 receptions in 2018 at Oak Park High School, Missouri.

While most Purdue students were relaxing at home over the holiday season, Purdue Athletics teams were still in full swing, with multiple sports seeing scheduled games and recruiting updates.

Football

Dec. 18, 2019, was National Football Signing Day, and the Boilermakers wasted no time adding 21 new recruits to their roster. Three of those recruits had four-star rankings, the remainder being three-star.

One of the most interesting of these recruits is Maliq Carr. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound tight end had 21 receptions for 815 yards and nine touchdowns in 2018, but there’s something else that makes him stand out.

Maliq Carr plays basketball as well, and plans to continue at the collegiate level.

“I will, trust me,” Carr said in a recruiting press conference in October.

Carr will be taking a scholarship for football, while accepting a preferred walk-on position from head basketball coach Matt Painter. Carr also reported that he would be coming to Purdue this semester, which means there is potential for him to play later in the season, perhaps during March Madness.

Purdue also signed four-star pro-style quarterback Michael Alaimo, who hails from Montvale, New Jersey.

After the season-long quarterback drama that unfolded in the fall, Purdue now has two established and reliable quarterbacks to turn to for next season. Nevertheless, the addition of Alaimo, who was ranked the 16th-best quarterback in the nation by Rivals.com, could be a major benefit to the future Boiler offense.

Men’s basketball

In basketball, the men’s team went 4-4 over the break after starting Big Ten play. Significant losses came at the hands of Nebraska, Illinois and Michigan.

Perhaps the worst of those losses was Illinois: the Boilers lost 63-37, and no Boilermaker recorded double digits in a single statistical category.

“We were bad against Illinois, there’s no way around that,” Painter said. “That’s my fault.”

The Boilers pushed two games to double overtime over the break, emerging victorious against Minnesota, but failing to beat then-No. 19 Michigan.

“Some plays went our way, some calls went our way, quite frankly,” Painter said about Minnesota’s win in comparison to the Michigan game. “Some things happen. We were one bounce, one play, one call from winning this game, too.”

Right before break ended the Boilermakers soundly beat No. 8 Michigan State 71-42 Sunday afternoon.

Women’s basketball

The women’s team performed similarly to the men’s, going 4-4 over break and 2-2 in its Big Ten games.

The Boilermakers defeated Ohio State and Wisconsin, but fell to Rutgers along with No. 12 Indiana in a rivalry matchup.

Purdue was down by 17 points late in the game against Rutgers, but was able to come back and tie the score. Unable to sustain their advanced level of play during the final minutes, the Boilermakers gave Rutgers the lead for good, losing 59-53. The loss served as their first home loss of the season.