10/26/13 Indiana Intercollegiates, Bo Ilgenfritz

Sophomore Bo Ilgenfritz swims in the fifth heat of the men's 100-meter breaststroke on Saturday in Indiana Intercollegiates at Boilermaker Aquatic Center. Ilgenfritz placed second in the heat with a time of 59.95.

As thermometers begin to dip lower and lower, two Purdue second-year swimmers said they are better prepared for the changes of life in central Indiana and the winters that accompany that .

Sophomores Stephanie Schlobohm and Allie Davis of Laguna Niguel and Santa Rosa, Calif., respectively, said that swimming indoors has been one of many changes for the duo since their move to the Midwest.

As an avid surfer who grew up just a short distance from the ocean, Schlobohm said she’s more used to the outdoor competitions back home.

“With swimming outside and everything, it’s a different culture and atmosphere,” Schlobohm said. “You just have to get used to swimming indoors, the air quality and, for me as a backstroker, looking up and seeing the ceiling and seeing the sky and things like that.”

The two west coast natives were joined this year by standout freshman Grace Hernandez of Chico, Calif. Davis mentioned some of her struggles from last year and how the trio has adopted their newest member.

“Last year, I definitely had a rough time when it started getting cold, just walking to the practice from the dorms,” Davis said. “I got used to it. It’s not as bad as I though especially since we swim indoors … It’s good to have some more California spirit now that it’s getting cold and stuff, but we have each other and that’s all that matter.”

With the the fall training period drawing to a close, the swimmers began to adjust their training schedules for one of the season’s top meets, the Ohio State Invitational held Nov. 22-25.

The No. 16 women’s swim team as well as the full co-ed diving contingent will travel to Columbus, Ohio to face off against top national competition in No. 5 Florida, No. 12 Virginia, No. 19 Ohio State and Kentucky.

Davis, a distance specialist, explained how the tapering process works specifically for her unit and how to prepare for three-day championship format meets such as this one.

“Distance doesn’t really have too much of a change for our in-season meets,” Davis said. “We need to keep our yardage up so we work on the mental side to it which is also difficult, but I’ve learned a lot from last year’s experience."

Coming off last weekend’s Minnesota Grand Prix, the majority of the men’s swim team will rest while other members will face off against Miami (Ohio) in a dual meet at home on Friday.