1/10/18 Rutgers, Lamina Cooper

Sophomore guard Lamina Cooper goes for a layup against Rutgers. Cooper had six points on 3 of 6 shooting from the field. Purdue beat the No. 21 Scarlet Knights, 47-33, Wednesday night in Mackey Arena.

Purdue upset No. 21 Rutgers, 47-33, by taking advantage of the Scarlet Knights' offensive struggles that persisted throughout the game.

The loss for Rutgers (16-3, 4-1) snapped an 11-game winning streak.

Rutgers shot 15 of 56 from the field, including 1 of 20 from 3-point range. Its qualms were apparent in the first quarter when it did not make a basket for 7:25. Purdue (11-7, 2-2) was not all that better making only 16 out of 48, but was able to cash in at the free throw line. 

The 33 points that Rutgers scored was less than half of its season average of 77. Purdue was able to stop Rutgers scorers, which what head coach Sharon Versyp wanted.

"Wasn't a pretty game," she said. "It never is when you play (Rutgers), but our kids really came out with a lot of grit. The defensive game plan was absolutely amazing and we just handled things."

What helped the Boilers to victory was their discipline to send only two opposing players to the free throw line and committing fewer than five fouls all game.

The play of senior guard Andreona Keys and sophomore forward Ae'Reianna Harris provided the Boilermakers with most of their offense. Harris made her first career 3-pointer as the shot clock was winding down. 

"As soon as (Harris) let it go, I knew it was going in," said Keys.

Harris finished the game with 13 points and 7 rebounds. Keys had 10 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists. She was 1 for 1 from 3-point distance on Wednesday night.

Purdue's next game will be at 4 p.m. Saturday, when it travels to Iowa.