10/12/19 Maryland, Jack Plummer

Redshirt freshman Jack Plummer throws the ball downfield against Maryland. Plummer recorded the most completions and passing yards by a Purdue freshman since 2013 as well as the second-most passing yards by a freshman in school history.

After tough losses to other Big Ten teams, the Purdue football team (2-4, 1-2 Big Ten) secured its win after beating Maryland (3-3, 1-2 Big Ten), 40-14, Saturday in Ross-Ade Stadium.

The Terrapins had a scoreless second half after the Boilermaker defense completely shut them out and held Maryland at 14 points.

"I think I only got hit like, three times today," said redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Plummer. 

While the defense did bend in the second half to allow the Terrapins to gain some yardage, it ultimately accomplished its goal to keep the ball out of Maryland's hands. Maryland had possession of the ball for a total of eight minutes and 39 seconds in the second half.

"They did their job," Plummer said.

In addition to the defense performing well, the offense did not shy away from the competition either. After scoring only a single touchdown against Penn State, the Boilermakers earned 40 points with 30 of them scored in the first half.

Redshirt freshman safety Cory Trice's pick-six late in the second quarter not only scored another touchdown for the Boilers, it served as a morale booster for the team as they went into the second half.

"It was pretty big going in to halftime, getting some momentum," said Trice.

The offensive side of the game was highlighted by a strong group of freshmen. With the exception of junior kicker J.D. Dellinger's field goals, all the offensive plays were made by freshmen.

Even with strong wind gusts knocking the kicking tee over six times and plenty of penalties called on both the Boilermakers and Terrapins, Purdue was able to secure the win it wanted.

The Boilermakers take on the Iowa Hawkeyes at noon on Saturday at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa.