4/27/18 Rutgers, Jacson McGowan

Jacson McGowan smiles at first base with assistant coach Greg Goff after being intentionally walked. With McGowan at first, the bases were fully loaded for the Boilermakers during the fifth inning on Friday.

Greg Goff is remaining part of the Purdue baseball staff and taking over as the Boilermakers' head coach, bringing over 450 victories and 14 years of experience to the top position at Alexander Field.

Previously a head coach at four universities, Goff originally joined Purdue as an assistant coach in July 2017. He succeeds his friend and longtime colleague Mark Wasikowski, who returned to the University of Oregon as the Ducks' new head coach this week.

Goff, 48, has previously served as the head coach at Campbell University (2008-14 where his record was 224-174), Louisiana Tech University (2015-16, 67-47 record) and the University of Alabama (2017, 19-34-1 record) as well as Division II University of Montevallo (2004-07, 152-84 record).

Goff was fired after one year as head coach at Alabama "without cause." When the firing was announced in 2017, athletic director Greg Byrne said it was in the best interest in the "long-term interest of the program." Media reports there was player unrest on the team at that time, including the threat of scholarships being pulled for some players by Goff.

At Purdue, helped lead the Boilermakers to a memorable 38-win season in 2018, punctuated by the program's third NCAA Regional bid in program history. Purdue finished second in the Big Ten standings and was also the runner-up at the Big Ten Tournament in Goff's first year with the program.

"Greg is highly respected by our student-athletes and was an important part of Mark Wasikowski's staff as we have worked to position Purdue baseball for sustained success," Purdue vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics Mike Bobinski said in an announcement. "He is a lifelong baseball person and an experienced and successful head coach who led multiple programs to their highest level of success. Greg understands Purdue and our expectations for academic and athletic success."

As a head coach, Goff's teams won over 40 games six times. Campbell was one of only eight Division I programs to win 40-plus games for three straight years from 2012 to 2014, posting 131 total victories during that span. He also won 42 games in his final season at Louisiana Tech, helping lead the Bulldogs to an NCAA Regional bid. Montevallo was a DII College World Series qualifier under his guidance.

"It is an absolute privilege to lead the Baseball program at Purdue," Goff said in an announcement. "I take the responsibility of representing Purdue, our alumni and our players very seriously and gratefully. I am humbled to be a part of what Purdue is and what it means to be a Boilermaker. We are committed to build on the winning tradition that coaches such as Alexander, Schreiber and Waz have built.

"My family and I look forward to great things and to contribute to our Purdue baseball mission with great citizens, successful student-athletes, commitment to the community and of course, competing for championships at the national level. I want to thank Mike Bobinski and Dr. Ed Howat for their trust and confidence. My family and I appreciate and embrace this opportunity. Boiler Up!"

Along with bringing an upbeat personality to the dugout and contagious energy to his role as the first-base coach, Goff has helped numerous Boilermakers develop offensively the last two years. He has played a leading role in coaching the base running and outfield defense. He also filled in as the program's pitching coach for a few games during a 2018 home sweep of Michigan while Steve Holm was with his wife for the birth of their second child. Purdue has compiled a 28-15 record at Alexander since Goff joined the coaching staff, headlined by a program-record 13-game home win streak to close the 2018 campaign. That represents Purdue's best two-year mark at home since 2011 to 2012.

Goff has coached nine future big leaguers and over 50 MLB Draft picks, highlighted by Cy Young award winner Brandon Webb while he was the pitching coach at Kentucky (2000-03). Longtime big leaguer and World Series champion Joe Blanton also pitched for Goff at Kentucky.

In Goff's final season at Campbell (2014), the Camels qualified for their first NCAA Regional in 24 years. Two years later, he led Louisiana Tech to its first Regional bid in 29 years. The 2014 Camels and 2016 Bulldogs both won at least one game in their Regionals, with La Tech coming through the loser's bracket to reach a Regional final at Mississippi State.

Goff's teams have had a losing record only five times in his 14 years as a head coach. Four of those five seasons were his first at a respective university. He has led his teams to some impressive turnarounds. In just two seasons, Louisiana Tech went from 15-35 the year before Goff's arrival to 42-20 in 2016, ending a 29-year NCAA Regional drought in the process. At Campbell, he inherited a team that was 11-45 in 2007. But under Goff, the Camels posted a winning record (27-24) in his second season and won 40 games by his fifth year (2012). Purdue's win total also jumped from 29-27 in 2017 to 38-21 in Goff's first year on the staff in 2018.

Along with his years as the pitching coach at Kentucky, Goff served as an assistant at Southeast Missouri State (1998-99) and his alma mater Delta State (1994-97) before becoming a head coach for the first time in the summer of 2003 at Montevallo. It was at SEMO in the late 1990s where he first worked with Wasikowski. They helped lead the RedHawks to an NCAA Regional in 1998.

"I would like to thank Coach Wasikowski for providing the opportunity for my family to come to West Lafayette and be a part of the Boilermaker baseball program. I know the entire program from players to staff to the administration wish Mark and his family well. In my time at Purdue, I have grown extremely attached to an institution that is recognized academically as one of the finest in the world. I regard the leadership and administrators of the University and Athletics Department as the finest I've had the honor of working with in my career."

In his two years at Purdue, Goff helped develop and organize new community events for the program like the preseason fan fest and first pitch dinner. Both events proved very popular and helped generate preseason interest going into the last two campaigns. He has also served as the director of Purdue baseball camps.

Goff was named the South Central Region Coach of the Year by the American Baseball Coaches Association at both Louisiana Tech (2016) and Montevallo (2006). He was the 2013 Big South Coach of the Year at Campbell after leading his team to a school-record 49 wins and a conference title. Montevallo won a combined 100 games over his final two seasons, posting a new single-season record both years.

Montevallo finished third at the 2006 Division II College World Series as the Southeast Region champions. It was the program's first appearance at the DII World Series. In his four years at Montevallo, he compiled a 152-84 record.

During the 2016-17 school year, Alabama's 3.259 team grade-point average established a program record.

A Jackson, Tennessee, native, Goff played collegiately at both Delta State and Jackson State Community College. He earned bachelor's and master's degrees from DSU. He and his wife, Tina, are the parents of four daughters: Kara, Kiley, Kolby and Kenzie. Kara plays softball at LSU.