5/15/18 Oral Roberts, Skyler Hunter

Skyler Hunter takes a pitch in Purdue's 7-6 win over Oral Roberts in 2018.

Despite being blown out by No. 14 Texas on Friday night and again on Saturday afternoon, the Boilermakers rallied Saturday night to hand the Longhorns (6-2) their first home shutout since 2016.

Purdue (1-6) redshirt sophomore pitcher Andrew Bohm retired six of the first seven batters he faced and then escaped a bases-loaded jam in the third inning. He struck out cleanup hitter Zach Zubia looking on a full-count pitch to the end the bottom of the third, pitching over a leadoff infield single and a pair of walks. That strikeout marked the beginning of a stretch in which Bohm retired six of the final seven batters he faced.

Redshirt sophomore Matt Moore pitched over a leadoff four-pitch walk while facing the middle of UT’s lineup in the sixth inning. Junior outfielder Skyler Hunter made a nice diving catch in left center field for the second out of that frame.

Sophomore pitcher Bo Hofstra issued a pair of walks, but also induced an inning-ending 5-4-3 double play in the bottom of the seventh. He pitched over a leadoff walk to the nine-hole hitter the following frame. Hofstra finished off the win with consecutive strikeouts of UT’s No. 5 and 6 hitters.

Sophomore infielder Owen Jansen reached on a throwing error by the Texas shortstop to begin the ninth inning. Freshman Ben Nisle followed with a rocket off the left field wall to chase reliever Tristan Stevens. The Longhorns brought in left-hander Brandon Ivey to face Fascia, but Purdue’s catcher won the battle with a sinking line drive to left field. With Beam at third ready to tag up, Eric Kennedy got a glove on the ball but couldn’t make the catch. Nisle also scored easily when the ball got through Kennedy.

Fascia took third on a ground ball to shortstop and was able to score on a hit off the bat of Johnny Sage when Ivey threw high to the plate. Sage took second on the play and third on a pitch in the dirt. Even with the infield in, Sage was able to score on a sharp grounder to second base off the bat of Ryan Howe.

Howe made his first collegiate start in the win, playing shortstop. He doubled in the fifth inning.

Purdue closed the weekend out with a 3-0 loss on Sunday afternoon. The team travels to Tulsa, Oklahoma, for a 3-game weekend series against Oral Roberts.