4/25/18 Indiana, Tyler Powers, Mark Wasikowski

Coach Mark Wasikowski congratulates Tyler Powers after he laid down a bunt along the third baseline. After his bunt, Powers was safe at first and loaded the bases for the Boilermakers.

The University of Oregon announced on Tuesday that Purdue baseball’s Mark Wasikowski has been named the new coach for the Ducks.

Prior to being named Purdue’s head coach for 2017, Wasikowski had been an assistant at Oregon for five seasons (2012-16).

"We are excited to add a high-energy and experienced coach in Mark to lead our baseball program," Rob Mullens, Oregon athletic director said in a statement.  “He has an outstanding work ethic and a track record as an excellent recruiter, and we expect to compete for championships under his leadership. Mark has a wide breadth of experience in both the Pac-12 and beyond, and we are confident that the success on the horizon as well as his high level of engagement will provide a first-class experience for our baseball student-athletes."

Prior to joining Purdue, Wasikowski, 48, had been an assistant Southeast Missouri State, Florida and Arizona before being named an assistant at Oregon. With the Boilermakers, he had an 87-82 career mark, but had inherited a team that had been 10-44 in 2016, finishing last in the Big Ten.

Wasikowski will replace Pat Casey who retired after 24 years as Oregon head coach. Casey finished with a record of 900-458-1 and won three College World Series titles.

Goducks.com, the official site of Oregon Athletics, contributed to this report.