Statistically the Purdue (4-3) vs. No. 5 Virginia (7-0) 7:15 p.m., Wednesday matchup in Mackey Arena has some intriguing components.
Consider some of the statistics:
• Virginia leads the nation in defensive scoring at 40.3 points per game; Purdue is tied for No. 17 at 38.4 (out of 350 teams nationally). The Cavs once gave up 26 points – yes, a total of 26 points – in a 46-26 win over Maine in its last game, Nov. 27. Virginia has held its opponents to less than 40 points three times this season including at Syracuse (34).
• Virginia is No. 1 in field goal percentage defense at 28.8 percent. Purdue is No. 62 at 38.5 percent.
• Virginia is tied for No. 4 in fewest fouls on the season with 75. Purdue is ranked No. 168 with 131 fouls.
• Virginia is No. 9 in 3-point shooting defense with teams hitting just 24.7 percent. Purdue is No. 28 with teams shooting 27.0 percent.
• Purdue is No. 13 in offensive rebounds per game at 14.14.
• Purdue is tied at No. 221 nationally in scoring average at 70.4 points per game. Virginia is No. 346 scoring 55.1 points per game.
• Virginia is No. 44 in scoring margin, winning by an average of 14.9 points per game. Purdue is No. 72 with +12.0.
• Virginia is No. 75 in turnover margin at +2.9 per game. Purdue is No. 146 at +1.4.
• Virginia is No. 341 in 3-point field goals per game at 4.9. Purdue is No. 212 with 6.9 made per game.
• Virginia is No. 334 in assists per game at 9.7. Purdue is No. 150 with 15.1.
• Virginia, winner of the NCAA Tournament in 2019, has won 13 straight games over the last two seasons and has won seven straight on the road.
• Purdue and Virginia met last season in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. The Cavs won, 80-75, in overtime en route to the national title.
• Purdue and Virginia are meeting for the second time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge with the Cavs and third meeting overall. The Cavs hold a 2-1 record over Purdue.
• Virginia is 13-6 in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Virginia beat Maryland, 76-71, last season.
• Since its inception the ACC holds a 12-5-3 record in the Challenge and holds a 127-98 mark in individual games.
• The game will be broadcast on ESPN2. Jason Benetti and Dan Dakich will be the announcers.
• Virginia Coach Tony Bennett is 261-89 (.749 mark) in his 11 seasons there and 330-122 overall in 14 seasons.
• Purdue Coach Matt Painter is 325-162 (.667 mark) in 15 seasons at Purdue and is 350-167 in 16 seasons as a head coach.
• Purdue is seeking its first win ever in Mackey Arena against a non-conference team ranked in the Top 5 nationally. The Boilers are 0-6 at home against such with five on those losses by five or fewer points.
• Purdue owns the Big Ten’s best record in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge at 10-8 (for teams playing a minimum of 10 matchups). The Boilers are 6-1 in Mackey in Challenge games with the lone loss coming to Duke in 2008.
• Wednesday's game is also Mackey Arena's acclaimed T-Shirt game. Purdue Athletics will place a t-shirt on every seat to create a visually stunning background in America's greatest college basketball arena. The Boilermakers own a 6-1 record in their seven previous T-shirt games (started in the 2012-13 season), having won six straight games during the event.