11/9/19 Texas, Matt Haarms

Purdue junior center Matt Haarms makes a move to the basket against Texas on Saturday. Haarms had 9 points and two rebounds in 23 minutes of play as Purdue lost, 70-66.

Purdue blew a 5-point lead with less than three and one-half minutes to go to lose to Texas, 70-66, Saturday night in Mackey Arena.

The No. 23 Boilermakers (1-1), on two free throws by Eric Hunter Jr. held a 62-57 margin with 3:14 left in the game.

Then Gerald Liddell hit a field goal, Jericho Sims dunked and Jaces Febres hit a 3-pointer for Texas. That turned the five-point lead into a a 2-point deficit wth 1:25 to go. Then with 21 seconds left, the margin grew to four, 66-62 after Andrew Jones make two free throws and Purdue could not catch up.

Purdue's starting lineup comprised sophomore forward Aaron Wheeler, sophomore guard Eric Hunter Jr., senior guard Jahaad Proctor, junior center Matt Haarms and junior guard Nojel Eastern.  

The Longhorns started the game with a couple of bad passes. The Boilers kept their defense tight and close, which left limited space for Texas' offense.

Along with having to fight through the Boilers' solid defense, the Longhorns made multiple mistakes while passing. Longhorn junior guard Matt Coleman started with a hot hand on 3-pointers, which created a lead for Longhorn in the first five minutes. 

Purdue sophomore guard Sasha Stefanovic made four 3-pointers for the Boilers in seven minutes during the first half.

But the Boilers still had to fight to score in the paint in the first half: Haarms didn't score in the paint in the first 10 minutes, and Wheeler struggled on the offensive side as well.

The first half was tough on offense for both teams: Purdue made only 34% of its shots and Texas made 58%.

The Boilers led the Longhorns 43-31 at halftime.

After the first half, Stefanovic led the team in scoring, with 12 points. Purdue also made seven rebounds in comparison to Texas' three.

The second half started rough for the Boilers, as Texas made several fast attacks and tried to chase up the score. The Longhorns' passes mostly went into the paint to junior forward Jericho Sims, and he dunked for two baskets at the same corner on the paint. 

Sophomore forward Trevion Williams kept attacking the paint to keep the lead for the Boilers. Before the first timeout in the second half, Purdue led 6-0 for two minutes.

The Longhorns started to chase the score after that, creating a stronger offense and defense. They disrupted the Boilers' offense often and made active efforts on defensive rebounds.

The Boilers struggled, but Haarms finally hit his first shot of the second half. Both teams started to build up their fouls. The Longhorns reached the foul limit quickly and gave Purdue free points by fouling on both Wheeler and Williams within one minute.

Purdue took the lead back at the end of the second half by cooperating with each other and smoothly hitting the paint. Purdue led on the second change offense 7-over-3 on the Longhorns. The Boilers made 36 rebounds in the second half, which broke the Longhorns' hopes of organizing their second offense. 

At the end of the second half, the Longhorns took the lead again after Haarms got his fourth foul. Eastern also fought hard during the last minute, after getting hit in his groin in the paint.

• The Boilermakers return to action at 9 p.m., Wednesday, when they travel to Marquette (1-0) as part of the Gavitt Games. The Golden Eagles won their first game, 88-53, over visiting Loyola-Maryland. The Purdue-Marquette game will be broadcast by FoxSports1.

Game Notes:

• Purdue fell to Texas 70-66 in front of a sellout crowd of 14,804 at Mackey Arena on Saturday night … the loss snapped Purdue's 18-game homecourt winning streak and its 20-game non-conference winning streak … Purdue is now 64-5 at home since the start of the 2015-16 season.
  • All five meetings with Texas have been decided by 10 points or fewer, with four of them coming by four points or less.
  • Purdue is 1-1 for the first time since the 2016-17 season … the Boilermakers lost to Villanova 79-76 in their second game of the year that season.
  • Sasha Stefanovic tied a career high with 14 points.
  • Jahaad Proctor scored 12 points, his 18th straight double-figure scoring game dating to last year.