Cancun Challenge

Triple Crown Sports has announced that Purdue will be one of four teams to make up the Riviera Division of the 2020 Cancun Challenge, held at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

The Boilermakers will be joined by Mississippi State, Clemson and Illinois State in the field. Pairings will be announced at a later date.

Purdue won the event in 2016 after defeating Utah State (85-61) and Auburn (96-71). Boilermaker fans turned out in droves for the 2016 event, helping fill the ballroom in Gold and Black, with tournament officials raving about the Purdue contingent in attendance.

This marks the 13th edition of the men's event. The Cancun Challenge continues to be one of the most sought-after destinations for a pre-conference tournament; in 2019, the Riviera Division featured Northern Iowa, South Carolina, West Virginia and Wichita State. Previous champions include Bradley (2018), Louisiana Tech (2017), Purdue (2016), Maryland (2015), Northern Iowa (2014) and Wisconsin (2013).

Games are played in the modified ballroom at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya; teams and their fans are in walking distance from their rooms to the games to the restaurants to poolside. The Cancun Challenge also includes games played at host sites in the US.

About the Cancun Challenge

Located just off the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya offers the ultimate vacation for guests of all ages with both the adults-only and family friendly resort experiences. With a combined 1,264 ultra-posh and lavishly appointed guestrooms boasting balcony, terrace views or new, expansive sky terrace options with picturesque views, hydro tubs in each room, world-class shopping and endless style, Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya is nothing short of the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Complete with expansive outdoor pools and private beach, this all-inclusive escape offers nine world-class restaurants, eight bars and lounges, in addition to 88,915 square feet of state-of-the-art meeting and event space ideal for elegant banquets, themed parties, weddings, concerts, and more.