11/16/19 Chicago State, Aaron Wheeler, Matt Haarms

Sophomore forward Aaron Wheeler and junior center Matt Haarms fight to grab a rebound on Saturday. Purdue won, 93-49, as Wheeler had 10 points and Haarms had 4.

The Boilermakers defeated Chicago State, 93-49, after a less-than-stellar first half Saturday afternoon in Mackey Arena.

In every showing this year Purdue (2-2) has came out of the halftime break with low energy and gotten outplayed by its opponents. This led to losses and caused much concern for this year's Boilermaker squad. Head coach Matt Painter has said on multiple occasions that he wanted his team to come out the break and show some fight — today the Boilermakers did.

Purdue held a 10-point lead at halftime but came back onto the court as if the team was trying to complete a comeback. The Boilers reeled off an 8-0 run and played with a level of energy that fans have only seen in the first half this season. They were able to stretch the lead out to 20 and seemed to never look back.

The Boilers played like a much different team then the squad that showed up to start the game. The cuts were harder and the passes were more crisp. Defensively the Boilers continued with the same intensity they showed in the first half.

The only thing Purdue seemed to do differently was force the ball to the paint. The Boilers lived and died by 3-point shots in the first half but in the second they began to work the ball into the post.

In the first half Purdue shot 21 3-pointers and made five of them. In the second half they shot 14 and made 6 in the second half. With eight minutes remaining in the second half Purdue had already tied the amount of paint points they had in the first half.

The Boilers also got a great boost from freshman Isaiah Thompson who led the team in scoring with 17 points off the bench.

Fan favorite Tommy Luce also was able to get in on the action dishing out four assists and scoring 2 points in his limited minutes off the bench.

Freshman center Emmanuel Dowuona got the first minutes of his career and threw down two thunderous dunks.

• The Boilermakers return to action at 8 p.m., Nov. 23, hosting Jacksonville State (1-1).

#BoilerNotes

• Purdue improved to 2-2 with a 93-49 win over Chicago State in front of a sold-out crowd of 14,804 at Mackey Arena … the sellout was the 11th straight sellout dating back to last year.
  • Purdue's 44-point victory was its largest since a 49-point victory (97-48) win over Tennessee State on Dec. 21, 2017 … Purdue has won 24 games by 30 or more points since the 2015-16 season, the second-highest total in America (Gonzaga – 44).
  • Purdue's 36 3-point attempts tied a school record, also set vs. Vermont on Nov. 15, 2015 … Purdue is 30-5 since the start of the 2017-18 season when making 10 or more 3-pointers in a game … the Boilermakers made 11 triples in the win over Chicago State.
  • Purdue improved to 22-1 since the start of last year when shooting a higher field goal percentage than its opponent.
  • Purdue has won 99 straight games when scoring at least 90 points.
  • Purdue's +26 (48-22) rebound margin was its 15th-best margin in a game in school history ... it was the highest margin since a 29-rebound advantage vs. Chicago State on Nov. 12, 2017.
  • With one block today, Matt Haarms moved into a tie for fifth place on Purdue's career blocks list with John Allison with 165 career blocks.
  • Aaron Wheeler recorded his first career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
  • Isaiah Thompson tallied a team-high 17 points, with five 3-pointers … his five 3-pointers tied the most in school history by a freshman.

– Purdue Athletics Communications contributed to this report.