11/2/19 Nebraska, Drew Brees

Former Purdue quarterback and New Orleans Saints' Drew Brees leads the introduction into "Shout" at the end of the third quarter on Nov. 2, 2019.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees will work for NBC Sports as a broadcaster after his playing career is over, according to a report from Andrew Marchand of the New York Post. Brees signed a deal with NBC after also receiving interest from ESPN.

Brees, 41, signed a two-year, $50 million extension with New Orleans earlier this offseason but could retire after the 2020 season. Once he does retire, Marchand reports, he’ll begin being groomed as Cris Collinsworth’s replacement as NBC’s main NFL color commentator.

Collinsworth and Al Michaels (play-by-play) currently call NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” games but NBC appears to have a succession plan in place for the famed duo. After the 2022 Super Bowl, the plan is to have Mike Tirico take over full-time for Michaels in the play-by-play role, with Collinsworth’s role now a bit in doubt that Brees has signed on.

Brees will begin his NBC career as an analyst on Notre Dame football coverage and as a studio analyst for the Sunday coverage. He also received strong interest from ESPN, who is looking to overhaul its “Monday Night Football” coverage after being widely criticized for the Joe Tessitore/Booger McFarland booth last year.

Tony Romo’s successful transformation from quarterback to commentator has led networks to aggressively pursue older quarterbacks for similar jobs in recent months. According to Marchand, ESPN went after Romo before he re-signed with CBS on a 10-year, $180 million deal and also had pursued Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers for its MNF coverage.

Tags