12/3/22 Big Ten Championship. Michigan, Coach Brohm

Head coach Jeff Brohm looks to the field during the first quarter of the Big Ten Championship game in Indianapolis. 

After six seasons with the Boilermakers, Purdue football head coach Jeff Brohm is reportedly set to return to his alma mater.

ESPN’s Chris Low reported that Brohm was “in the process of finalizing a deal” with Louisville to become its head coach in a tweet sent out around 11:20 a.m.

The reported decision comes after the Cardinals’ head coaching job opened after Scott Satterfield took the job at Cincinnati, which was announced on Monday.

Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated is also reporting that Brohm is headed to Louisville.

Senior tight end Payne Durham tweeted his thanks for Brohm, saying he is "forever thankful" and that Louisville is "in good hands."

Brohm led the Boilermakers to an 8-5 record and the first Big Ten Championship appearance in program history this season and was set to coach the Boilers in the upcoming Cheez-it Citrus Bowl against LSU on Jan. 2.

Jeff Brohm’s brother, Brian Brohm – Purdue’s quarterback coach and co-offensive coordinator – will be the interim head coach for the bowl game, Gold and Black’s Tom Dienhart reported.

Brian Brohm has a 1-0 record as a head coach, filling in for his brother who caught COVID-19 before the first game of the 2020 season. Brian Brohm coached Purdue to a 24-20 victory over Iowa. 

Several Purdue football players, including Marcus Mbow, Tyrone Tracy Jr. and Will Chapman, have started openly campaigning on Twitter to bring back JaMarcus Shephard as head coach.

Shephard, who now serves as Washington’s associate head coach, passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach, was at Purdue from 2017-2021, starting out as wide receivers coach and adding the title of co-offensive coordinator a season later.

Chapman called Shephard an "elite recruiter, coach and leader," in a tweet.

Brohm, whose first season as Purdue head coach was in 2017, would leave with a 36-34 record, a division title and eight NFL draft picks.

Ross-Ade Stadium attendance also rose during his tenure. Under the previous head coach Darrell Hazell, the total attendance averaged around 35,000. This season, Purdue averaged 57,129 people in attendance, 99.7% of Ross-Ade’s capacity and the highest average attendance since 2007, Joe Tiller’s second-to-last season.

Previous head coaches Hazell, who coached Purdue from 2013 to 2016 and went 9-33, and Danny Hope, who coached from 2009 to 2012 and went 22-27, combined for six losing seasons compared to just one winning season, under Hope, in the years between Tiller and Brohm.

The reported move is not unexpected, as the former Cardinal quarterback has several familial connections to Louisville. Both Brian Brohm, Purdue’s quarterback coach and co-offensive coordinator, and Greg Brohm, Purdue football’s director of operations, also played at Louisville. All three brothers attended and played football at Trinity High School in Louisville where their dad, Oscar Brohm, was head coach.

The last time the Louisville job came open, in 2018, Brohm was offered the job but ultimately turned it down in favor of sticking with Purdue. Brohm, then in his second year as head coach of the Boilermakers, cited the timing of the potential move, The Exponent previously reported.

“After intense and thorough discussion, I believe it is important to finish the building process we have begun and honor the commitment I made to our football program, players and recruits,” Brohm said at the time. “While going home was very appealing and meaningful to me, the timing was not ideal.”

An official announcement of the move has yet to be made by Purdue or Louisville.

Louisville announced that its Athletic Association Executive Committee and Board of Directors will meet Thursday at 4 p.m. with a press conference to follow, according to Cardinal Authority's Jody Demling.

This story will be updated with new information as it is available.