8/21/18 Fall Football Practice, Nick Sipe

Nick Sipe, then-redshirt freshman quarterback, throws the ball to a receiver during fall practice last year.

Purdue will now be without one of its young quarterbacks for good after an early retirement.

Sophomore quarterback Nick Sipe decided to retire from the football team for medical reasons.

After battling nagging back complications for two years, Sipe decided it was time to call it a career.

Head coach Jeff Brohm told the Lafayette Journal & Courier, “He’s tried to play through it at times, but he’s missed a ton of time.”

Sipe was once a heralded high-school quarterback prospect from Villa Park, California. He was part of the recruiting class of 2017 and was a consensus 3-star recruit. He became the 69th overall recruit in the state while also being the sixth best pro-style quarterback.

Besides Purdue, Sipe received interest from other schools such as Boise State, Tennessee, Colorado and California. He also attended numerous prestigious camps and even won the Rivals L.A. perfect spiral competition.

Sipe originally committed to play for Darrell Hazell and re-affirmed it after Brohm took over the head coaching position in 2017.

“That was definitely a different situation, but it worked out well,” Sipe told the Journal & Courier.

During his time at Purdue, Sipe saw limited time on the field. As a redshirt freshman, he was the backup to Elijah Sindelar and David Blough, but he completed his one and only pass for three yards.

It looks like Sipe will have no trouble completing his degree with his academic scholarship, but his departure leaves the team thin at quarterback.

With Sindelar injured, Purdue is now down two scholarship quarterbacks, with redshirt freshman Jack Plummer and freshman Paul Piferi stepping in. Walk-on Aidan O’Connell has already seen the field this season as well.