9/7/19 Vanderbilt, Elijah Sindelar

Fifth-year quarterback Elijah Sindelar throws a ball against Vanderbilt. Sindelar finished 34-52 with 509 yards, five touchdowns and one interception. He currently leads the nation in passing yards per game this season.

Fifth-year quarterback Elijah Sindelar has put up some record-breaking numbers this season. He was the first Purdue quarterback since Drew Brees to throw over 400 yards in back-to-back games. He has also thrown for nine touchdowns and a total of 932 yards in just two games.

He has struggled with accuracy at times, throwing three interceptions, two of which came in crucial points in the game against Nevada.

Overall, Sindelar has helped Purdue’s gunslinging offense and has been helped out by his star wide receivers, sophomore Rondale Moore, freshman David Bell and junior Jared Sparks.

Now though Sindelar may miss some time now due to a minor concussion.

“Well, I think (Sindelar) and quite a few guys got nicked up, and we’ll see how they heal up this week,” head coach Jeff Brohm said in his weekly press conference.

“We’re hopeful that him and a lot of our guys will be ready to play, but we’ll probably let that play out a little more to the end of the week.”

With the starting quarterback possibly out this week, what does that mean for the Boilers?

It means redshirt freshman Jack Plummer will have to step up and fill in. The Gilbert, Arizona, native was a star in high school but has not had his chance while at Purdue as he has been behind Sindelar and former quarterback David Blough.

Plummer offers a mobile quarterback style but can also make tough throws. He stands at 6 feet 5 inches, offering him a better vantage point over the lineman. He also only weighs 220 pounds, meaning Plummer is fairly light.

When forced out of the pocket, Plummer has some speed that can help him scramble for extra yards.

Plummer’s biggest advantage, however, is his brain.

His grade point average was 4.0 after his first two semesters majoring in management. His intelligence allows him to learn on the fly and adapt quickly.

His biggest disadvantage is his lack of experience.

Plummer did not see the field last year and getting tossed into a game with little to no experience is no easy task.

If Sindelar is healthy, he will play on Saturday, but if he happens to not be, fans should look to Plummer and see what the young Boilermaker can do.