11/2/19 Nebraska, Jack Plummer

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Plummer is helped off the field after a leg injury late in the fourth quarter of the game against Nebraska on Saturday.

Nebraska’s head coach Scott Frost and Purdue’s Jeff Brohm met on Saturday in an ugly game.The Boilermakers trailed for most of the game before walk-on sophomore quarterback Aidan O’Connell stepped in and organized the game-winning drive.

No one expected the game to go as well as it did.

Nebraska had a lot of hype surrounding the team before the year started, very similarly to Purdue. Both schools credit their fairly new head coaches for creating a level of hope for each school.

Both teams made regular mistakes and showed little to no fire or passion. Purdue has been plagued with injury, and that continued with redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Plummer going down with a leg injury.

After the game, Brohm said it’s likely Plummer will miss the rest of the year.

Can Purdue just redshirt this whole season?

The Boilermakers need to win every game left in the season (which includes a matchup with No. 16 Wisconsin) just to remain bowl-eligible.

That’s bowl eligibility though, it doesn’t even guarantee a bowl game.

For the safety of the players and the sanity of the fans, the season needs to hurry up and finish. How many more times can Boilermaker fans watch a player get hurt? It is sad for the players, the fans and coaches.

This season has just felt cursed, as so much has gone wrong for the team. Fifth-year quarterback Elijah Sindelar and sophomore wide receiver Rondale Moore got hurt on the same play early in the season.

It was the same exact play.

How many teams have seen two of their star players get hurt on the same play, at nearly the same time?

The Black and Gold then went on to lose player after player to injury, dropping close games to Iowa and Illinois. The close losses have turned out to be costly, almost eliminating Purdue from bowl-game eligibility.

It’s been very unfortunate. Purdue’s team holds a lot of talent, especially young talent, but the injury bug has prevented success. In the near future, the Boilermakers should be much stronger, but the team may have no control over it.

Brohm and the coaching staff have been tasked with a tough job: winning despite mass injury. When a team has to rebuild every week with a depth chart constantly shifting, who can a coach — or the fans — rely on?

It’s been an unfortunate season, but the future remains bright. Young quarterbacks, receivers, defenders and more offer hope to the program’s fans and players. If Boilermakers can just suffer through the rest of this season, next year looks to be more rewarding.