10/23/19 Football Practice, David Bell

Freshman wide receiver David Bell runs after catching a pass during last week’s practice.

It is that time of year again for the Boilermakers: Halloween.

Since 2009, there has been a noticeable trend from Purdue’s play on Halloween weekend, and it isn’t good.

Out of the last 10 years, Purdue has played on Halloween twice, and one came in the form of a home game against Nebraska. The other game was on the road against Wisconsin.

In the Nebraska game, the Boilermakers were led by quarterback David Blough, running back Markell Jones and wide receiver DeAngelo Yancey. The Huskers were under head coach Mike Riley and led by starting quarterback Ryker Fyfe, running back Terrell Newby and wide receiver Jordan Westerkamp. Nebraska turned the ball over five times and Purdue cruised to a 55-45 victory. That win was arguably the biggest win in the Darrell Hazell era.

Not only was it head coach Darrell Hazell’s marquee win, but it is also the biggest win in this article, as Halloween weekend has not been friendly to Purdue teams over the years.

Halloween weekend games for this article’s purpose are defined as each seasons game which was played closest to Halloween.

The trend for the Boilermakers is not playing well when Halloween spirit is in the air. Some noticeable themes are that they have played numerous ranked teams and they play on the road a lot. They also play one particular opponent a lot: Nebraska.

That last trend in particular will continue this Halloween weekend as the Boilermakers will play the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Ross-Ade Stadium.

Although the Boilermakers have lost their last eight games on Halloween weekend, head coach Jeff Brohm said, “We’ll come out (of this weekend’s game) with a good attitude.”

If Purdue loses again this weekend, the curse will not only continue, but the Huskers will also do something even scarier: eliminate the Boilermakers from bowl eligibility.

The rising star of this year’s team has been freshman wide receiver David Bell, but he hasn’t always been a big partaker in the Halloween tradition.

“I didn’t really dress up when I was younger,” Bell said.

Now that Bell has to dress up, maybe his black and gold costume will end the Halloween weekend curse.