3/1/19 Spring Football Practice, Rondale Moore

Sophomore Rondale Moore stands on the sideline after a play in practice at Mollenkopf Athletic Center.

Day three of spring camp for the Purdue football team brought about the first day in full pads. Many new faces have made an appearance and are already in positions to make an impact for the team. 

Defense

Freshman defensive end George Karlaftis, a five-star recruit who just recently enrolled at Purdue for the spring semester, was receiving first team reps throughout the day. He was able to get past the offensive line and almost bat passes down on two occasions, but is still learning. After practice, junior offensive lineman Grant Hermanns took snaps against Karlaftis and taught him some tricks of the trade to help further develop the newcomer's abilities.

Redshirt freshman defensive back Cory Trice was in on a majority of the first team reps and rarely got beat. His 6-foot 3-inch frame gives him a natural edge over many other defensive backs who are much smaller. He did get beat once by junior wide receiver Jared Sparks on a deep pass, but overall the coaches appeared happy with Trice's performance. 

"We got (a ton of) talent this year," said Sparks. "Rondale (Moore) and some young guys coming in, I gotta be that guy that steps up."

The defense was able to pressure the quarterbacks in team scrimmage, earning more than four sacks, or what would be in a real game, in the period. The defense seems to be making big strides early in the off season.

Offense

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Amad Anderson Jr. won the day during the Boilers' practice. He had one drop but made up for it with a one-handed snag falling out of bounds in tight coverage. His teammates and coaches both seemed excited about his day.

"He is doing some good things," said JaMarcus Shephard, the co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach.  "In terms of using his hands, that's why I recruited him."

The offense was able to make plays, including redshirt freshman tight end Payne Durham who caught at least two passes down the field for a significant gain. The lineman struggled at some point, giving up a few sacks but also allowing fifth year senior quarterback Elijah Sindelar a hefty pocket on some plays. 

Fan Information

Purdue's spring practices are free and open to the public. Typically from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m., fans can watch the team practice at Mollenkopf Athletic Center (indoors) or Bimel Practice Complex (outdoors), depending on the weather. No photos, videos or social media is allowed.

The annual Spring Game is set for noon on April 6 in Ross-Ade Stadium and will be televised on BTN.