11/30/19 Indiana, Hoosiers Old Oaken Bucket Celebration

The Indiana football team celebrates with the Old Oaken Bucket after defeating Purdue, 44-41. 

The Indiana Hoosiers won the Old Oaken Bucket game with a score of 44-41 after a hard-fought battle that went into double overtime Saturday afternoon.

An interception on the Boilermakers' first drive of the game thrown by Purdue's sophomore quarterback Aidan O'Connell helped the Hoosiers score on their first drive of the game and hold a 7-0 lead after the first quarter. 

The second quarter opened up with another touchdown by the Hoosiers, who scored with 12:39 remaining in the second quarter and held a 14-0 lead over the Boilermakers.The Boilermakers would answer back with a field goal and a touchdown of their own to bring the score to 14-10. 

Purdue's sophomore running back Zander Horvath completed the longest rush of the Boilermakers 2019 season in the second quarter and led the Boilermakers in rushing yards with 164 yards for the game in total. He is the first Purdue player this season to rush for over 100 yards in a single game and would also rush for two touchdowns.

Purdue freshman wide receiver David Bell also became one of only 12 players to record 1,000 receiving yards in a single season. Bell stated that he didn't expect to get to 1,000 yards. 

"I expected Rondale (Moore) to play, and I didn't expect myself to get 1,000 yards," Bell said.

O'Connell threw for 408 yards in total, while Indiana junior quarterback Peyton Ramsey threw for 337 yards in total. Both O'Connell and Ramsey threw two touchdown passes. 

The third quarter was even in scoring, with both teams scoring a touchdown and completing the field goal to bring the score to 28-17.

In the fourth quarter, the Boilermakers scored a touchdown and completed a two-point conversion. The Hoosiers were scoreless in the fourth quarter. 

The record-setting crowd in Ross-Ade Stadium was gifted with a rare occasion for the Bucket series, a double overtime.

The Hoosiers were the first to score in the overtime period, with Ramsey completing a pass to fifth-year wide receiver Nick Westbrook for the touchdown. The Hoosiers also completed the field goal, giving them a 38-31 lead. 

Purdue was quick to match the Hoosiers with a touchdown and field goal of its own. O'Connell found fifth-year tight end Brycen Hopkins, and after the completed field goal, the game was sent into a second overtime tied 38-38. 

In the second overtime, the Boilermakers would kick a field goal to give them a 41-38 lead. However, the Hoosiers were able to score a touchdown in their final drive of the game, with Ramsey rushing to give the Hoosiers the bucket game win. 

"I'm very proud of our football team for the effort they gave us today," said Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm. "We had a chance to win in the end, but we came up short."