Athletics officials confirmed Wednesday Purdue will now play without starting linebacker and fifth-year senior Markus Bailey after he suffered a likely season-ending knee injury during Tuesday’s practice.

Bailey, now in his second year as team captain, has been an important part of the Boilermakers’ success on the defensive side of the ball this season. After two games, Bailey is tied for second on the team in total tackles, with 14, and third on the team in solo tackles, with 10.

With Bailey now on the sidelines, Purdue could look to junior linebacker Cornel Jones and sophomore linebacker Kieren Douglas to replace Bailey’s production at the position spot. Jones played a majority of the season in 2018 and may bring some needed experience back to the table.

Head coach Jeff Brohm could also look to play some younger players to fill the void because of the new redshirt rule.

The new rule allows players to play in multiple games and still be eligible for redshirting, giving players experience while saving eligibility.

Either way, Purdue’s attitude likely won’t change, and it will be looking to fill the void.

Cornerbacks coach Greg Brown addressed the effects of the injury on Wednesday afternoon.

“Things won’t change,” Brown said. “When somebody goes down ... it’s the next man up. Let’s see what they got.”

Bailey decided to return for this season earlier this year, and he is also an NFL draft prospect. This injury means he could file a medical waiver claim and potentially get an extra year of eligibility, or he could rehab and prepare for a potential future in the NFL.

“We want to support him in every way we can,” Brohm said shortly after news of the injury broke.

Last season, fifth-year senior quarterback Elijah Sindelar won a medical waiver for injuries he sustained early in the year.

Brown also addressed the idea of what Bailey might do from here.

“I can’t even begin to venture any opinions or guesses ... that’s beyond my scope,” he said.