9/14/19 TCU, George Karlaftis

Defensive end George Karlaftis celebrates after a tackle to loss in the first half against TCU. Karlaftis would get an interception the very next play. 

Purdue struggled offensively against the TCU Horned Frogs in their non-conference matchup, landing only a pair of field goals and losing 34-13 on Saturday.

Purdue (1-2) was without star linebacker Markus Bailey, leaving the middle of the field more vulnerable to TCU's (2-0) read option. 

Along with Bailey, the Boilermakers lost quarterback Elijah Sindelar to a concussion from a week ago. Redshirt freshman Jack Plummer took over today. Plummer threw one touchdown and two interceptions and went 13-28 under center. 

"I knew this would be a tough matchup for him," said head coach Jeff Brohm on Plummer's performance. "A lot of pressure was on him, but he hung in there. He'll get better, but we've gotta get better around him as well."

"We knew what TCU was gonna do," Brohm said. "I thought our defense did some decent things, (but) obviously gave up too many yards in the run game." 

Purdue struggled offensively, going only 3-14 on third-down attempts and scoring one touchdown late in the fourth quarter by receiver Amad Anderson. Wide receiver Rondale Moore was barely a factor, pulling in only three catches for 25 yards. 

"I gotta give it to TCU," said tight end Brycen Hopkins. "I think they had a good defense and they did their film study. They knew the players they wanted to lock down and the plays we like to make our money off of." 

Each team came away with an interception in the first quarter, the first off a tipped pass into the hands of Boiler defensive end George Karlaftis, the other ripped right from the hands of Boiler receiver Moore by Horned Frogs safety Trevon Moehrig. TCU's second interception came early in the third quarter by the hands of cornerback Jeff Gladney.

The Boilers opened the second quarter with a 43-yard drive, highlighted by a 38-yard reception from Hopkins, and capped off with a career best 53-yard field goal from junior kicker J.D. Dellinger to make the score, 10-6.

The next 11 minutes of minutes of play consisted of more failed third-down conversions and punting by both sides.

Purdue failed to score again on its next drive and went into the break looking to come out stronger in the second half. 

Early in the third quarter, Brycen Hopkins had yet another big reception, this one for 19 yards. The effort proved futile, however, as Purdue was forced to punt again.

TCU responded with a nine-play, 92-yard yard drive, ending in a 22-yard touchdown pass to Al'Dontre Davis, making it 20-6. 

Later in the third quarter, TCU marched 72 yards down the field, led by running back Sewo Olonilua, for another touchdown, spreading the lead to 21 points.

The fourth quarter featured touchdowns from TCU's and Purdue's respective Andersons. 

In the absence of Bailey, linebacker Ben Holt led Purdue in tackles with 17. Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to stop the high-powered TCU offense. 

"I try to play the same way every day," said Holt. "I had a few missed tackles here and there so I think I gotta get a lot better."

Purdue will enjoy a bye this coming week, giving the team more time to prepare for the first Big Ten conference game at home against Minnesota.