Fernando Barco, Purdue Men's Golf

Fernando Barco

The Purdue men’s golf team finished sixth of 15 teams at the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate in Charleston, South Carolina, but senior Fernando Barco was named Big Ten Golfer of the Week for his strong play.

The Lima, Peru native finished tied for 12th in the field, which included nine of the top-50 teams in the nation, at South Carolina this weekend. He carded a 2-under-par 214 (70-72-72) for his third consecutive top-15 finish of the year.

Barco has been one of the best players on the team in the past three tournaments with a combined score of 11-under-par. He has posted seven straight rounds of even-par or better, tied for the second-best streak at Purdue since the 2001-02 season.

This was Barco’s 13th top-20 finish and his second Big Ten Player of the Week award for his career (first this season). His other Big Ten Player of the Week came at the same tournament last season.

The senior leads the team in stroke average at 72.35 per round, which is currently second on the single-season list at Purdue. Out of his 20 rounds this season, he has posted 10 rounds of even-par or better.

The team will be on break until April 15 and 16 when they host the Boilermaker Invitational at Kampen Course.