4/23/15 Chukwuebuka Enekwechi

Chukwuebuka Enekwechi throws a shot as he practices for the NCAA Track and Field Championships.

In the process of breaking Purdue’s school record and the Big Ten meet record, one Boilermaker is bringing home the conference championship for the second year in a row.

Redshirt junior Chukwuebuka Enekwechi broke the Purdue hammer throw record, which he set earlier this season, by 3.80 meters during Big Ten championship competition on Friday in East Lansing, Michigan.

Enekwechi’s first throw matched his personal record, but his second attempt yielded greater results – a throw of 72.77 meters – a new school record, a new meet record and Enekwechi’s ticket to his second Big Ten title in two years.

No Big Ten thrower had ever marked a 70-meter throw at the conference championships. Enekwechi had multiple attempts reach this distance even after his record-shattering throw.

Multiple championships in the hammer throw are not common. Enekwechi is the first repeat champion for the Boilermakers and only the fourth in Big Ten history. Just three Big Ten throwers were able to take home the title in back-to-back seasons.

Enekwechi’s championship marks the sixth hammer title for the Boilermakers who first won the event in 1999.

The conference-winning throw currently ranks third nationally for the season.