2/10/19 Rutgers, Jacob Aven, Christian Colucci

Jacob Aven gets thrown to the mat by Rutgers’ Christian Colucci in a match on Feb. 10.

Purdue wrestling gave up a close road loss to Central Michigan on Sunday in its last regular season dual of the year.

While the Boilers (7-10, 3-6 Big Ten) won 5 of the 10 bouts, Central Michigan (4-8, 3-4 Mid-American) powered ahead with a pin and a tech fall to win 20-15 on bonus points. Purdue was unable to claim any bonus points in its 5 wins.

The turning point of the night happened in the 157 lb. match with Purdue’s No. 15 Griffin Parriott going up against Logan Parks.

The ranked sophomore was able to come out to a sound lead in the first two periods, going up by two after a third period escape. Parks capitalized on a bad attack in the third period, however, taking Parriott to his back for a fall. This situation led to a nine-point swing in the final team score.

Parriott wrestled fifth in the meet, so the Boilers still had the chance to mount a comeback after being down 14-6.

Junior Cole Wysocki followed Parriott with an explosive first period. The Boiler exposed his opponent’s back in the opening action of the match, earning a takedown and four backpoints. Wysocki continued to execute from the neutral position throughout the match but gave up two reversals, preventing him from extending his lead. He won 8-4.

Wysocki’s win came at the right time for the Boilers, keeping them in the meet. Out of 16 past duals, Wysocki has found just three wins this season; this win took it to four.

To pull out a victory, Purdue needed to win three of the next four matches. This situation nearly mirrored the previous weekend, where Purdue needed to win all four matches for a victory. This weekend, the Boilers were only able to claim two, coming from No. 10 Dylan Lydy and No. 11 Christian Brunner.

Purdue sophomore Max Lyon had a close match against senior Jordan Atienza. Lyon got to his attacks in the first two periods, but was unable to finish. In the third, Atienza was able to hit his stride, claiming two takedowns. A stalling point on Atienza made the match a little closer, but Lyon ultimately lost 5-4.

The outcome of the meet came down to heavyweight for the second dual in a row, with Purdue senior Jacob Aven facing No. 12 Matt Stencel. While Aven was able to win last weekend, he didn’t have an answer to Stencel’s offense, and ultimately lost 4-1.

Purdue will return to action in the Big Ten tournament beginning on March 9 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.