1/25/19 Penn State, Max Lyon, Franny Bisono

Sophomore Max Lyon attempts a trip to finish a single leg takedown in his 12-4 major decision against Franny Bisono of Penn State.

No. 19 Purdue wrestling took on No. 1 Penn State on Friday in Holloway Gymnasium, nearly drawing a full house in the 30-10 loss.

Penn State (7-0, 3-0 Big Ten) has dominated national competition, remaining undefeated in dual meets for the previous three seasons. The Nittany Lions only have 14 individual match losses from their current starters this season, with nine of those coming from a single wrestler. They also claim five undefeated and four No. 1 nationally ranked wrestlers.

Purdue (5-6, 2-3) gained an early lead with two wins at 125 and 133.

Sophomore Devon Schroder was able to put together some of his best moves against Penn State’s Devin Schnupp. After no score for the first two minutes of the match, Schroder got a takedown followed by a quick tilt to finish the period up by 4 points. Schroder remained in control through the second period, but was ridden out in the third to end the match with a 6-1 decision.

Purdue senior Ben Thornton, currently ranked No. 18, followed, earning a big upset against the Nittany Lions' No. 13 Roman Bravo-Young. Thornton got in on an attack early, weathering a series of flips in order to finish and get the takedown. After Bravo-Young’s acrobatics, it seemed as if one of his legs may have been injured, but both wrestlers kept a high pace throughout the match.

Thornton continued to extend his lead, and finished with a 7-3 decision to make the team score 6-0, in Purdue's favor.

That match was followed by a string of five losses to the Nittany Lions, two of those losses coming as pins. Both of Penn State’s falls came from undefeated No. 1 wrestlers, Jason Nolf and Vincenzo Joseph.

Purdue junior Dylan Lydy had a good match against Mark Hall. The upper-body action of the wrestlers brought the match down to the final period, where Lydy had a chance to take the lead with the crowd on its feet. The moment ended with Hall getting a takedown, and the match ultimately ended 6-2.

The score after the string of losses was 22-6.

Sophomore Max Lyon went up against Franny Bisono of Penn State. Bisono was making his dual meet debut for the Nittany Lions, and Lyon was able to control the full seven-minute match, taking a major decision.

The final two matches of the night went to No. 1 Bo Nickal and No. 4 Anthony Cassar of Penn State, with two major decisions.

The Boilers will return to action against Minnesota at 2 p.m. in Minneapolis next Sunday. Some of their non-starters will also compete at an invitational in Iowa tomorrow.