Purdue wrestling alumnus Jake Patacsil has been named the inaugural coach at the University of Mount Olive in North Carolina, it was announced by Vice President for Athletics Jeff Eisen.

"Jake has an outstanding wrestling and coaching background, and we are excited to have him become our first head men's wrestling coach,” said Eisen, Mount Olive vice president, in a prepared statement. “His experience, energy, and enthusiasm make him the ideal coach for starting a new program."

Patacsil graduated with a B.S. in Math Education from Purdue in 2009, where he was a four-year member of the Boilermakers wrestling team and an NCAA All-American at 149 pounds.  In the Purdue record books, he ranks third all-time in career wins (120), second in reversals (51), and is the all-time leader in back points (803).

He was a recipient of the prestigious Big Ten Medal of Honor, given to senior student-athletes for athletics, academics, and service.

He has also attended the National Wrestling Coaches Association Leadership Academy four times.

"I am honored to be given the responsibility of leading and developing Mount Olive's first wrestling team.” Patacsil said in a statement. “I look forward to bringing in student-athletes in that will set a great example for the future of the program and will look to achieve their goals in college and beyond.”

Patacsil comes to Mount Olive after spending the last four years as an assistant coach at Division I Hofstra University.  During his time at Hofstra, Patacsil helped coach two two-time NCAA National Qualifiers and one All-American. His responsibilities at Hofstra included recruiting, working with the team on top and bottom positions, and running practices. He helped the wrestling team win the Pride Cup (given to the most social/academically/athletically successful team) three years in a row.

Prior to his time at Hofstra, Patacsil was an assistant at Duke from 2013-14 and also served as an assistant coach at Notre Dame College from 2011-13. Prior to his stint at Notre Dame, Patacsil was an assistant coach for the Dutch of Central College from 2010-11 and helped Central get their first national qualifier in seven years.

Patacsil will spend this academic year recruiting and preparing for the program to begin competition during the 2019-20 academic year. UMO will become the eighth school in the wrestling conference created through a partnership between Conference Carolinas and South Atlantic Conference.

Patacsil, 33, was born in New Corydon, Indiana. His father, Frank, and his uncle, Ted, brother, Sam, and grandfather, Joe, were all Purdue wrestlers. His grandfather was a 1950 national champion.

Mount Olive was founded in 1951, by a convention of the Original Free Will Baptists, according to the university's website. It maintains eight locations in eastern North Carolina, and has approximately 4,000 students and nearly 20,000 alumni.