1/18/19 Indiana, Griffin Parriott

Redshirt sophomore Griffin Parriott prepares to wrestle Indiana's Jake Danishek during Purdue's 18-11 victory. Parriott lost by decision, 6-4.

Purdue wrestling started #BeatIU weekend off right with a smackdown of the Hoosiers on Friday night, winning 18-11 in Mackey Arena.

The Boilers (5-4, 2-1 Big Ten) went up by three decisions early on with wins from sophomore Devin Schroder, senior Ben Thornton, and junior Nate Limmex. Limmex won by a single point after a challenge brick from the IU corner was denied.

Indiana (4-8, 1-4) argued that an upper body throw from its wrestler, Cole Weaver, should have resulted in a takedown and back points. However, Limmex was quick to get off his back and get in on Weaver’s legs, resulting in no score. The exchange ended in a team point taken from IU.

The next three matches went to Indiana. All three came down to the last few seconds, but ended in takedowns for the Hoosiers. Sophomore Griffin Parriott was among those defeated, losing to IU's Jake Danishek. This made the team score 9-8 for Purdue.

A big match between junior Dylan Lydy and Jacob Covaciu followed. Both are Indiana high school state champions, so the crowd was amped up. The match had Lydy up 3-2 in the final period. He managed to get a takedown in the final seconds, remaining aggressive through the end.

Sophomore Max Lyon had the crowd on their feet at the end of his match. Up by one point, the only thing preventing Indiana from getting the takedown was Lyon’s grip on his opponent Norman Conley’s leg. With the Hoosier bench calling for points to be awarded, Lyon held on and nearly earned a takedown himself to get the victory.

A smooth 5-1 victory from junior Christian Brunner put Purdue up 18-8 going into the final match.

Senior Jacob Aven dropped the match to Fletcher Miller of IU. The final score was 18-11 Purdue. Mackey will be full the next two days with men's basketball and women’s basketball also taking on the Hoosiers on Saturday and Sunday, both at 2 p.m.

The wrestling team returns to action at 2 p.m. on Sunday at No. 6 Michigan in Ann Arbor.