Arizona Colorado Football

Khalil Tate would have a lot to learn about playing wide receiver, but he has the athleticism to play in the NFL.

TownNews.com Content Exchange

Khalil Tate will have another shot to play in the NFL, after the quarterback converted wide receiver signed a "futures contract" with the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday

Following a mercurial collegiate career, the former Arizona Wildcats star signed with the Eagles as an undrafted free agent wide receiver in 2020, but was waived before start of preseason training camp in July. 

The 6-foot, 216-pound Tate wasn't able to work out at Philadelphia's team facilities or have personal contact with teammates and coaches, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which hindered his chances of earning a spot on the 53-man roster or practice squad. 

During what would've been Tate's rookie season, the former dual-threat quarterback held two workouts for the Cardinals with hopes of returning to Arizona, but was never signed. 

After inking a futures contract, Tate is in a reserve pool of players that the Eagles believe could earn an active roster spot for next season, and it also ensures that he won't sign a contract with another team. 

Contact sports content producer Justin Spears at 573-4312 or jspears@tucson.com. On Twitter @justinesports

This article originally ran on tucson.com.

Locations

TownNews.com Content Exchange