1/20/19 Indiana, Karissa McLaughlin

Sophomore guard Karissa McLaughlin looks towards the basket for a teammate to pass to.

Purdue completed the sweep of IU sports this week as the women's basketball team beat the No. 25 Hoosiers, 53-51, Sunday in Mackey Arena.

After a heartbreaking overtime loss to a scorching hot Rutgers team, the Boilermakers (14-6, 5-2) were back at home looking to defeat in-state rival Indiana (15-4, 4-3).

This is the 86th matchup between the two teams. Purdue leads the series 54-31 all-time and is 25-11 at Mackey Arena.

Sunday's game featured two of the last four Indiana Miss Basketball winners and was a true test of which program reigns supreme in Indiana.

The Boilers are currently tied for second place in the Big Ten and a win today could put them in position to claim the spot as their own.

Both teams shot out of the gate, running and gunning, but there seemed to be a lid on the basket for both squads. After the first five minutes, Indiana was shooting an abysmal 29 percent from the field and only one player had scored.

In the first, Purdue was led by freshman guard Kayana Traylor, who had 8 points in the quarter. Traylor was responsible for more than half of the team's points. The two teams left the first half tied at 14.

The second quarter was more of the same as the two teams traded baskets. Purdue's best offensive players didn't score in the first quarter and Indiana continued to focus in on junior guard Dominque Oden and sophomore guard Karissa McLaughlin. The Hoosiers hedged hard on screens to make sure the Boilers' biggest threats didn't get an easy look.

Indiana was able to maintain a slight lead due to its prowess at the 3-point line, where the Hoosiers shot 80 percent.

The Boilers went cold in the second quarter, going 5-of-16 from the field; however, their defense allowed them to keep the game tight.

Purdue was able to capitalize of the Hoosiers' turnovers in the first half, scoring 10 points off of them. McLaughlin ended the half with 2 points and three assists on 1-of-4 shooting. Oden had 2 points on 1-of-5 shooting with three rebounds and two assists. Harris ended the half with 4 points on 1-6 shooting and five rebounds.

Purdue darted out after the halftime break with a quick 6-0 run to take the lead from the Hoosiers with three quick steals from Oden, McLaughlin and Traylor. The Boilers began attacking the paint and getting to the free throw line.

"We started trapping, I thought our defense picked up, our intensity, our passion," said head coach Sharon Versyp. "Being able to get those two turnovers back-to-back to cut the lead quickly, emotionally that really helped everybody. We rattled them a little bit in the second half."

McLaughlin came alive in the third, pitching in 6 points, a rebound and a steal. Traylor continued to chip in, adding 6 points, a rebound, an assist and a steal.

"People had to make some great plays," Versyp said." We played really great as a team. I think someone who really sparked us today was (Traylor.)"

The Boilermakers moved to a two-three zone at the start of the second half, which gave Indiana a ton of open looks from the 3, but they were unable to convert on those opportunities. The Hoosiers went cold from downtown. They shot 20 percent from the 3 in the third.

Purdue finished the third with a 44-43 lead.

The two teams went bucket-for-bucket in the fourth period. At the seven minute mark, both teams had a a scoring drought that lasted nearly five minutes. The Boilers were the first to strike, which gave them a 51-49 lead with 2:40 to go. The Hoosiers responded two possessions later with a bucket off an offensive rebound. Indiana then scored again after a blocking foul sent sophomore guard Bendu Yeaney to the free throw line.

With 38.8 seconds to go, Purdue was down 52-53. McLaughlin drove to the rim and finished a tough layup to give the Boilers a 54-53 lead with 26.4 remaining.

"I just trusted God that he was going to make it go in," McLaughlin said. "I'm just very thankful that it went in and we were able to execute at the end.

The Hoosiers missed a shot on the other end. McLaughlin then sealed the deal with two free throws with 1.8 seconds left on the clock.

Sophomore forward Tamara Farquhar added to her run of great games in Big Ten play and continuously produced for the Boilers. She had 10 points on 4-of-8 shooting with nine rebounds and two assists. 

The Hoosiers effectively neutralized Harris as they doubled her on the catch and face guarded when the Boilers would try to get her the ball. She finished with 4 points on 1-of-6 shooting  with nine rebounds.

McLaughlin finished with 10 points on 3-of-8 shooting. The guard had three assists and three boards and was a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw-line. Things got started slow for the guard but she preformed when it mattered.

• The Boilermakers return to action at 8 p.m., Thursday at Minnesota.