The Purdue women’s basketball team (6-1) suffered its first defeat of the season Sunday in the championship game of the Gulf Coast Showcase in Florida, as No. 22 Gonzaga (6-1) won, 63-50.

Turnovers were pretty much the determining factor as Purdue had 21 while Gonzaga had 8.

Neither team shot the ball very well. Purdue was 17 of 49, 34.7 percent, and 3 of 13 from 3-point distance, 23.1. Gonzaga was 23 of 60, 38.3 percent, and 1 of 12 from long distance, 8.3 percent. The Boilers held a rebounding edge, 35-28, but Gonzaga made more free throws – 16 of 21 compared to 13 of 21 for Purdue.

The Boilers failed to have a player in double figures, but did have one in rebounding. Dominique Oden led Purdue with 9 points and 8 rebounds while Ae’Rianna Harris had 6 points and 10 rebounds.

Gonzaga had three players in double figures led by Melody Kempton with 18off the bench. Also in double-digit scoring were LeeAnne Wirth and Jessie Loera with 12 each.

The Boilermakers return to action at 7 p.m., Thursday at Virginia Tech (6-1) as part of the Big Ten-ACC Challenge.

HALFTIME COVERAGE

A plethora of turnovers have plagued the Purdue basketball team in Sunday’s championship game of the Gulf Coast Showcase, as it trails No. 22 Gonzaga, 31-20, at the half. Kayana Traylor leads the Boilers with 6 and Melody Kempton leads Gonzaga with 10 off the bench.