Purdue Iowa Box

Iowa defeated Purdue 72-58 to tie the season series.

The Boilers headed to Iowa to take on the Hawkeyes in their second meeting of the season. In the first matchup, Purdue was able to upset Iowa at home; however, they were unable to contain senior forward Megan Gustafson on the road.

Gustafson ended the game with 25 points, 10 rebounds and two assists. She scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and was a big part of Iowa's game-winning run.

Purdue was led by sophomore guard Karissa McLaughlin and junior guard Dominique Oden. Oden ended the game with 17 points, nine boards and two steals. McLaughlin had 16 points and two assists.

The Boilers fell victim to the turnover bug: they committed 13 compared to Iowa's eight. They also lost the battle on the boards 33-29.

The Hawkeyes completely dominated Purdue in the paint, in part due to senior forward Hannah Stewart's season-high 21 points paired with Gustafson's performance. Iowa had 46 points in the paint, while the Boilers only managed 20.

Despite the turnovers and the point disparity in the paint, the Boilers stuck around to the very end. Purdue entered the fourth quarter down 47-49 and were in position to win the game until Gustafson began her hot streak. TheĀ  Boilermakers also went cold at the worst possible time, going on a three-minute scoring drought to end the game.

In Purdue's best performances this season, role players have stepped up and contributed to the scoring load, but the Boilers were unable to get that production against Iowa.

Next up, the Boilers will take on Nebraska at 8 p.m. on Thursday in Mackey Arena.