2/26/12 Northwestern, Alex Guyton

Senior forward Alex Guyton lunges for the rebound during a game at Northwestern on Feb. 26, 2012.

After winning a Big Ten Championship as a player and quickly ascending the coaching ranks, former Purdue standout Alex Guyton has returned home. On Monday, Purdue women's basketball head coach Sharon Versyp welcomed Guyton as the new director of player development and video coordinator for the Boilermakers.

"I am excited to welcome Alex back home to Purdue," Versyp said in a press release. "She will be a great addition to our staff. She understands what it takes in this program to succeed. Her knowledge of the system, my coaching and our standards will make her a valuable asset to our players."

Guyton makes her return to West Lafayette after two seasons at Eastern Illinois, where she carried out a multitude of responsibilities for the Panthers. Her tri-faceted role included duties as an assistant coach, director of basketball operations and video coordinator. Guyton helped the Panthers to an eight-win turnaround in 2018-19, the third largest swing in program history.

Prior to her jump to Division I, Guyton made two stops at Central Indiana high schools. For three seasons, she was an assistant coach at Carmel High School from 2014-17, where she helped the Greyhounds to back-to-back sectional titles, a 61-17 record and mentored 2018 Indiana Miss Basketball Amy Dilk.

Her first foray into coaching came at Warren Central High School during the 2013-14 season. As a varsity assistant coach, Guyton managed team operations, video coordination, team conditioning, camps and player development.

Guyton is the fourth former Purdue player to return home and join the full-time staff in the Versyp era, following Ukari Figgs (2009-11), Kelly Komara (2014-16) and Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton (2012-19). Former guard Abby Abel recently made the transition to graduate assistant after four years on the team.

From 2008-2012, Guyton played in 124 games for the Boilermakers, which ranks 28th in program history. She averaged 13.4 minutes and 4.5 points per game over her four-year career.

The Boilermakers made the postseason four times during Guyton's tenure with three NCAA Tournament appearances and one WNIT bid. Purdue reached the Elite Eight during her freshman campaign in 2008-09. As a senior, she helped lead the Boilermakers to their third Big Ten Tournament Championship in the Versyp era.

The Bloomington native still ranks 30th in the team record book with a 44.6% career field goal percentage. She led the team in blocks and steals as a junior in 2010-11.

"I am thrilled to wear the old gold and black again," Guyton said in a press release. "This program and university have had such a monumental influence on my life that I jumped at the chance to give back to a new generation of Boilermakers. I cannot thank Coach enough for giving me this opportunity."

After graduating with a degree in communications in 2012, Guyton played professionally in Germany for Tus Bad Abiling.

Guyton's basketball roots run deep in the state of Indiana. Growing up, she won the AAU 14 and under national championship alongside future Purdue standout Brittany Rayburn. She was a McDonald's All-America nominee as a senior at Bloomington North High School and scored over 1,000 points for the Cougars in her career.