The Boilers fell in a close battle with No. 22 Michigan State on the road, 74-66.

To begin the game, junior forward Ae’Rianna Harris had a dominant first quarter performance with 10 points, four rebounds and two assists. Like most Purdue games this season, it was a game of quarters with each of the Boilers’ best players taking turns carrying the scoring load.

Junior guard Dominique Oden kept the Boilers (15-9, 6-5)  in the game during the second, as she put points on the board in the midst of the team’s cold streak.

By the halftime break, the Boilers were down 13 points. The 3-point shot — their go-to this season — disappeared. Purdue was 0-of-8 from the 3 and made an abysmal 11 of 30 shots from the field.

All season long, Purdue has struggled to get all three of their offensive players going at once. The third quarter propelled the Boilermakers back on track as they outscored the Spartans 25-15.

Sophomore guard Karissa McLaughlin pitched in 8 points, Harris added in 7 and Oden chipped in 6 during the third period.

Purdue entered the fourth quarter down 3 points; however, it was unable to capture the lead. The Spartans led the whole game and only allowed three ties.

The Boilers had a chance to tie the game in the final 20 seconds but they were unable to inbound the ball, resulting in a five-seconds call. The Spartans knocked down the Boilers’ free throws and went on to win the game.

Purdue returns home to face Illinois at 7 p.m. on Thursday in Mackey Arena.