Wisconsin parlayed a 12-point third quarter advantage for a 76-69 victory in Madison on Monday afternoon in women's basketball.

The Badgers (10-4, 1-1) expanded upon a 3-point halftime lead with a 27-15 third quarter margin. They also blew out to a 6-point spurt to open the fourth quarter to lead by 21 with 7 minutes to go in the game. The Boilermakers did manage to cut the lead to six, 71-65, with 2:55 to go, but couldn’t do much thereafter. It did get down to five points, 74-69, but only 11 seconds were left.

The early big fourth quarter lead was too much to overcome for Purdue (10-5, 1-1) to overcome.

Karissa McLaughlin led Purdue in scoring with 19. Other double-digit scorers including Ae’Rianna Harris with 16 and Dominique Oden with 12.

Wisconsin was led by Karlis Kelly with 17 while Niya Beverly and Imani Lewis had 10 each.

The Badgers outshot the Boilermakers from the field, including from 3-point distance.

Wisconsin was 29 of 58, 50.0 percent, and was 8 of 15 from 3-point range, 53.3 percent. Purdue, meanwhile, was 27 of 62 from the field, 43.5 percent and was only 6 of 21 from long distance, 28.6 percent.

“They shot lights-out,” Coach Sharon Versyp said on her radio show after the game. “They didn’t hit those shots earlier (this season), but that’s what happens in Big Ten play. They stepped up big as a team, knocking down shots. We got things going a little bit finally when Rea was able to get in and establish down low, we didn’t have that the whole first half.

“I thought we were in good shape going in at the beginning of the second half, but

they knocked down some shots, they beat us in transition,” she said. “And that’s what killed us, the transition defense.”

Bench points was also a significant factor, at Wisconsin outscored Purdue in that area, 26-9.

“We’re at that stage where people have to understand when you are on the road that everybody has to show up,” Versyp said.

Purdue will return to action at 6 p.m., Saturday, hosting Michigan.