12/9/18 Loyola, Dominique Oden

Junior guard Dominique Oden dribbles the ball down the court against Loyola. She made four rebounds during the game. 

The Purdue women's basketball team outscored visiting Loyola by 20 points in the third quarter to cruise to a 65-41 victory Sunday in Mackey Arena.

Coming of a 7-point loss at the Ohio Bobcats on Wednesday night, the Boilers bounced back to move to 7-3 on the season.

It was a defensive battle in the first quarter, as neither team was able to crack the six-point mark until the four-minute mark. Both teams seemed to have a lid on the basket and were unable to get their offense going. Purdue earned a 10-9 lead with junior forward Ae’rianna Harris leading the way. The forward had six of the Boilers first 10 and was dominant in the first quarter.

Freshman guard Kayana Traylor came in late in the first quarter and immediately made an impact, that won’t necessarily show up on the stat sheet. The freshman was able to speed up the pace of play for the Boilers spoiling trouble for the Ramblers as Purdue began to pull away. With the addition of Traylor, Purdue’s trap got faster and stifled Loyola. In her first eight minutes of play, she was able to dish out four assists and haul in two rebounds

The second quarter saw the emergence of sophomore guard Karissa McLaughlin. McLaughlin poured in seven points a Block and a steal, to send the Boilers to the locker room. Purdue lead 24-20 at the halftime break.

The Boilers got out to a 19-0 start to begin the second half sparked by a made layup from junior guard Dominque Oden. During the run the Boilermakers played phenomenal defense coming away with steals and forcing bad shots. On the offensive end of the court they seemingly couldn’t miss from that point on Purdue never looked back. The Boilers were able to stretch out their lead to 21 points and maintained control throughout.

Dominque Oden was a force to be reckoned with in the third quarter as she poured in 12 points. Oden helped maintain the Boilers lead, as they entered the fourth up 55-31.

The Boilers offense didn’t click as well in the last quarter as it did in the third, but the damage was already done. Both Purdue and Loyola (6-3) scored 10 in the fourth.

Purdue had three players score double digits and got good production from its bench. Traylor directed traffic for the Boilermakers finishing with nine points, five rebounds, eight assists and one steal.

McLaughlin led the team with 19 points she also recorded a steal and a block. Oden poured in 16 points, hauled in four rebounds, and swiped her way to two steals. Harris was able grab seven rebounds and score 10 points.

The Boilermakers return to action at 3 p.m., next Sunday, hosting South Carolina. That game will be televised by ESPN2.