Connecticut totally outclassed Purdue basketball Saturday night in the Women’s US Virgin Islands Paradise Jam, 86-40.

The Boilermakers (5-2) fell behind early, trailing by 20 at the end of the first quarter, 28-8. Then things got worse. No. 2 Connecticut (5-0) won every quarter and eventually built a 50-point lead in the game.

Katie Lou Samuelson led the Huskies in scoring with 22. Two other teammates scored in double figures – Napheesa Collier (19) and Christyn Williams (17). Collier turned in a double-double as she had 10 rebounds, too.

Purdue had two players in double digits with Dominique Oden and Kayana Traylor scoring 12 each.

Two-point field goal shooting, 3-point field goal shooting, free throw shooting, rebounding, turnovers, bench points, blocks, fast break points and points in the paint all favored U Conn. Perhaps no stats were more telling that those related to shooting. Consider the following:

• Purdue was 16 of 65 from the field for 24.6 percent while U Conn was 34 of 59 for 57.6 percent.

• 3-Point Shooting: Purdue 4 of 31, 12.9 percent; U Conn 10 of 16, 62.5 percent.

• Free throw shooting: Purdue 4 of 12, 33.3 percent; U Conn 8 of 13, 61.5 percent.

And the Huskies held a 10-rebound advantage, 44-34, as well.

“We missed easy shots early (when) we had some looks and then it was just a transition game,” Purdue coach Sharon Versyp said in her post-game radio show. “They were running circles around us. We had our three top players really struggle – really, really struggle – really bad.”

The fast break points verify what Versyp said. Connecticut outscored Purdue in that area, 18-2.

Purdue now will return to action at 7 p.m., Thursday hosting its portion of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge with Miami.

“The biggest thing with this tournament is being able to play three games in three days, which is like the Big Ten,” said Versyp. “Play late at night like which is like the NCAA. We played all different types of styles (at the Paradise Jam).

“What we’re going up against with Miami is very typical to the three teams we played (here), so that’s going to prepare us. That’s why we come to these tournaments. You play great teams (and) see where you can grow. I think we made some growth, but obviously today I was pretty, pretty disappointed.”

EARLIER COVERAGE:

At halftime of the US Virgin Islands Paradise Jam, it’s ugly for the women’s basketball team.

Ugly is defined by the halftime score: No. 2 Connecticut 47, Purdue 18.

Two Connecticut players have scored 15 after the first 20 minutes – Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson. For Purdue, Dominique Oden is the leading scorer with 8.

The huge lead is supported by the statistics, too. Purdue shot 24.2 percent from the field – 8 of 33, including a dismal 14.3 percent from 3-point distance of 2 of 14. Even the free throw shooting is bad – 0 of 4. Rebounds? Not much better, U Conn leads 23-16. Purdue has 7 turnovers to Connecticut’s 4.

Collier hit the first basket for Connecticut 19 seconds into the game to make it 2-0 and Purdue never led. In fact, the end of the first quarter was a 20-point margin, 28-8.

Then in the second quarter the Huskies had a 9-point advantage, too, 19-10.