12/31/19 Wisconsin, Ae'Rianna Harris, Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton

Purdue's Ae'Rianna Harris hugs former Purdue assistant Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton after the Boilermakers visiting Wisconsin, 72-61, Tuesday afternoon. Wisdom-Hylton is in her first year as an assistant at Wisconsin after serving in a similar position at Purdue.

Three-point shooting and free throws lifted the Purdue women’s basketball team past visiting Wisconsin, 72-61, on New Year’s Eve afternoon.

The Boilermakers (11-3, 2-0) were 7 of 13 from 3-point range while Wisconsin (8-5, 0-2) was 3 of 16. Purdue was also 13 of 15 from the line while the Badgers were 6 of 7. Both teams hit 26 field goals.

Purdue was led by Karissa McLaughlin with 22 points. She was 7 of 12 from the field – including 5 of 8 from 3-point range – to go with 3 of 4 from the line. She scored the first 11 of the game for the Boilers.

Three other Boilermakers were in double figures – Dominique Oden (20 points), Ae’Rianna Harris (14) and Tamara Farquhar (10). Farquhar also had 11 rebounds to complete a double-double.

The Badgers had three players in double figures led by Imani Lewis with 20. Joining her were Abby Laszewski and Kendra Van Leeuwen with 10 each.

The game marked the return of former Purdue player and assistant coach Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton. She is in her first year as a Wisconsin assistant. Harris, with seven defensive boards, took over the career lead in defensive rebounding for the Boilermakers over Wisdom-Hylton.

QUOTABLES

Head coach Sharon Versyp on the play of Oden and McLaughlin…

"Any time a player can kind of takeover a game and start knocking down, it takes pressure off our team. It's nice when one player can score in bunches. The teammates are always whomever that may be. The first half, Karissa got us off to a great start. Dominique did her pull up jumpshots in the second half and hit that big 3-pointer."

Versyp on finding a way to win…

"It's a good sign. We didn't want Wisconsin to shoot the 3. We took away the three. Their strength is down low, but it's their 3-point game that's helped them win games. Today, we wanted to make sure we took away the 3, and we did."

Karissa McLaughlin on where the team is at after two games in the Big Ten… 

"I really love how we're playing together. We're pushing the ball. Our defense looks great right now. We need to rebound better. Once we get that down, we're going to look even better. We're getting our post players the shots that they need. I just love how confident we're playing right now."

NOTES

• Purdue owns a 52-20 all-time series lead over Wisconsin.

• The Boilermakers have won five straight Big Ten Conference home openers.  

• Tamara Farquhar and Harris finished with 10 and 14 points, respectively.

• The lone starter not in double figures was Kayana Traylor, who dished out a team-high six assists.

• Purdue notched 15 assists to 12 turnovers, the team's second-lowest turnover tally this season.

• For the fourth straight game, the Boilermakers shot above 40 percent from the field, recording a 48.1 percent clip.

• Harris' five blocks gave her 330 for her career, a mere 19 short of Joe Barry Carroll's Purdue record.

• The five blocks marked her 17th career outing with at least five rejections.

• Wisconsin entered the game averaging 31.3 percent from 3-point range. On Tuesday, the Boilermakers held the Badgers to 18.8 percent from long range on 3-of-16.

• Purdue closes 2019 with a 20-13 record. For the decade, Purdue finished 212-133. 

• The Boilermakers improved to 7-0 at Mackey Arena this season. 

UP NEXT

The Boilermakers will play their first game in 2020 on Jan. 5 against Rutgers at Mackey Arena. Tip is set for noon on the Big Ten Network. Sunday will be the Boilermaker Kids Club Game, where all members receive two free tickets, Special Olympics Day and Boilerpalooza. There will be a fan fest in Holloway Gymnasium starting at 11 a.m.

– Purdue Athletics Communications contributed to this report.