10/6/19 Wisconsin, Ena Sabanagic

Senior midfielder Ena Sabanagic passes the ball towards the goal during Purdue’s regular-season loss to Wisconsin on Oct. 10. Sabanagic left the game before halftime with a knee injury.

The Purdue soccer team pulled off a big upset this weekend in the first round of the Big Ten tournament.

The Boilermakers (8-8-3, 3-6-2 Big Ten) defeated Wisconsin (14-3-2, 10-0-1) 1-0 in Madison, Wisconsin.

The Boilers, who were the bottom seed in the tournament, faced the No. 7 team in the country as well as top seed in the tournament. Earlier in the season, the Badgers had also defeated the Boilers 1-0 at Folk Field.

The lone goal in the match came from senior midfielder Ena Sabanagic in the 44th minute. From the game footage, sophomore midfielder Skylurr Patrick made a long pass to sophomore midfielder Ally Mussallem in the Wisconsin corner. Mussallem centered it, and Sabanagic tapped it past the Badgers’ goalie for the score.

Sabanagic’s shot was one of five for Purdue throughout the match, three of which were on goal.

Purdue’s defense came through to seal the win for the Boilermakers. The Badgers attempted seven shots on goal, all of which were blocked by sophomore goalie Marisa Bova.

With this win, Purdue improves to 12-12-4, and 5-4-1 in away games, against the Badgers since 1999.

Purdue will move on to face fourth-seed Penn State in Piscataway, New Jersey. The Nittany Lions (13-6-1, 8-3-0) defeated Iowa 2-1 Sunday in their own first-round matchup. The Lions have also defeated the Boilers once this season, winning 2-1 at Folk Field.